Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Wei Huang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
An additional Kitchenette a liability for landlord?

Wei Huang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Posted Apr 24 2015, 20:35

Folks, I need some suggestion/advice/thoughts on what to do with a kitchenette hook up in a split level single family property that I am about to close on for buy & hold. 

The upper level has a full kitchen and the rehab work is mainly in the lower level which basically only has finished dry walls. Down there I need to finish just about everything else from flooring, trims, to windows/door frames. 

There is a kitchenette hook up by the lower level exit door with tiles put down.  My thought was to cover it up somehow and NOT to make it accessible because all I can think of as a landlord is a liability feature having an oven/stove upstairs AND downstairs for renters. 

It's a 2000+ split level home so it COULD be an attractive feature for renters with big family (maybe like a in-laws suit). If I do that I will probably buy a whole kitchenette set to finish it off. However, I can't get over the thought of grandma or auntie fee forgetting to turn off the stove down stairs and setting the place on fire.

What would you do?

Loading replies...