Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Silvia B.
  • Auburn, GA
Votes |
How do you handle your criminal background/credit check fee?

Silvia B.
  • Auburn, GA
Posted Apr 26 2015, 11:48

My tenants of 3 years will be moving and I will be going through the application process again.  I was thinking that I would begin to process the basics of the applications first : verifying employment, income and previous landlords, etc.  If the applicant meets my qualifications in these areas, then I would request the consent and  fee to run the check via SmartMoves. I was wondering what you all think about accepting this fee in the form of a check? This way I would not have to ask the applicant for their checking account info on the application. Some  people do not feel comfortable about disclosing this on an application. If the check bounces then it is an automatic disqualification.  It will also provide me with a current address to compare to the application information provided. Since I would only run the credit check on an applicant who passes the first "basics" this would help alleviate the need to return fees to several applicants who never get that far in the process. I would credit the fee to the applicant that I sign the lease with. 

What is the best way to handle the criminal background/credit check fee?

What have you found that works for you ?

Note: I only have one property and I am not a real estate agent.

Loading replies...