Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Palmer
  • Utah
Votes |
Are broken fridge water lever and carpet stretching normal wear and tear?

Mike Palmer
  • Utah
Posted May 24 2015, 21:30

I have a tenant that broke the fridge water lever off. Like the part where you press with the cup to get the water to shoot out, broken clean off. You can stick your finger up in the hole and pull on it and still get water.

In all the fridges I have now and have gone through over the years (at least 6 off the top of my head), and in all the fridges I have ever personally used or seen in all of my memory, I have NEVER seen this happen. I was planning to charge the tenant as the only way I can see the lever breaking off is being too rough with it, but then I saw this thread with the control panel hanging off and the consensus seemed to be that this was normal wear and tear. I actually have seen that before and I would agree, but I still feel like they broke the lever and I should charge them. It was possibly even one of their kids just pressing too hard or not being watched or whatever. Thoughts?

I also noticed that the carpet has several buckles in one room that were not there before. They have a lot of large/heavy furniture (and a LOT of 'stuff' in general), and I am thinking they have probably moved a lot of their large items around by pushing/dragging across the carpet (just a guess on my part, but the carpet was fine before). It is also very stained and dark/dingy, but that is another matter. I think it will need re-stretched in that room. I have also never seen carpet that was properly installed and fine at move-in need re-stretched at move-out, and I suspect they caused this with the way they have used it. They will have been there almost 3 years when they move out if that matters. Should I charge them for stretching the carpet or is this considered normal wear and tear?

Loading replies...