Abby Vuong
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
Tenants and Guarantor Dilemna

Abby Vuong
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Posted May 28 2015, 08:34

Hi Everyone, 

I am in need of some major advice.  I am starting out with my first rental in Maryland and decided to hire a real estate agent.  My realtor has made a couple of errors with the listing and showing process, so I am not sure I can rely on her work.

My realtor is pushing for this one applicant.  They are a young couple, 28 and 29, one is a graduate student and one is starting his business, but both have no real income or job.  They also have a big dog.   They got his parents as the guarantor with a lot of funds in the bank, but my realtor won't show me the credit report.  

We renovated our whole house and put a lot of money into it, our house is considered a luxury rental, so I am a little nervous renting to renters with such a large dog (Mastif).  My question are:

1.  Am I allowed to request a credit report of tenant and guarantor from my realtor?

2. With no real job or prior rental, what other ways can I check the actual tenants besides interviewing with them?

3.  Any questions I should ask during the interview?

4.  My realtor told me I can ask for 2 months rent as a deposit, but that's the most I can do to protect myself.  What if the dog and tenant damages more than that?  

5.  Besides having the guarantor signed an agreement also, what else can I do to protect myself from the tenant leaving and the guarantor refusing to pay?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks a million!

Loading replies...