Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Wendy Noble
  • Investor
  • Sunnyside, NY
Votes |
Tenant fears for her safety... wants to move out.

Wendy Noble
  • Investor
  • Sunnyside, NY
Posted Jul 1 2015, 08:43

Just to prove that there is no "normal" day at the office when you deal with tenants, I had an interesting case today.

So a high profile crime ocurred some months back in the neighborhood of one of my rentals. Its been covered extensively in the local press. At least part of the crime therefore happened right across the road from my rental unit.

My tenants' (a lovely older couple) lease is expiring at the end of July and my property manager emailed them to ask if they were staying. The wife comes into the office of my property manager this morning in tears. She and her husband want to stay long term she but she is fearful of her safety and says they will be moving out. She witnessed some part of the crime and is now considered a witness in the court case. Now she has the press permanently camped outside her house and they are hounding her every day. Her husband is a trucker and is gone mostly during the week so she is having to face this on her own and is afraid to even walk out her house because they swamp her and try to get an interview with her.

I feel so bad for her. She is so nice (she spends hours in the garden which looks like a postcard, and they take care of my rental as if it were their own home). The poor dear.

I have another unit vacant (tenant ended her lease and moved out yesterday) that may work for them but unfortunately it doesn't have a garden, only a balcony.

Just goes to show, anything can happen.

Loading replies...