Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Rob McAllister
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Newbe looking for advice. Install sprinkler system?

Rob McAllister
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Jul 1 2015, 12:49

Hello,

I just bought a new house and I am looking into renting out my old house instead of selling. The yard is a concern because it is high maintenance in my opinion. The soil is very sandy and there is no automatic sprinkler system.  I currently use water timers and have hoses all over the yard to keep things watered. I am concerned that a tenant may stop caring for the yard and let things die.  Many of the other houses in the neighborhood have reasonably nice yards and a few may be considered immaculate.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to invest in a sprinkler system to help guarantee that the landscaping does not die due to lack of watering by a future tenant. There are several large trees in the back yard (with a southern exposure) that help keep the house cool in the summer. I think a shady back yard is an attractive feature.  If a bad tenant kills the lawn (or worse, kills the trees)  the cost to repair the yard could be very high and also reduce my ability to rent if the trees are gone.

I would like to hear some opinions about what makes the most sense in this situation.

Thank you,

Rob

Loading replies...