Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Will F.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Votes |
Has anyone had success Locating and Collecting from a Debtor in Los Angeles County? Judgement

Will F.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Posted Jul 10 2015, 15:50

Hi we have a few Judgements from evictions in Los Angeles that are a few years old (here judgement last 10 years and can be renewed again for another 10 years).  Here the rents are high and evictions can take months so the Judgements are actually substantial amounts in the tens of thousands.  

Anyways does anyone have experience with both locating debtors and actually collecting from them first hand?  

I'd at least like to locate or skip trace them so that I can file an Abstract of Judgement and at least report them to the credit agencies... does anyone have suggestions for both locating debtors, and companies for reporting them?

I have some specific questions too -- For filing an Abstract of Judgement would I have to serve them the summons?  Or could I simply mail it to the last known address (which is our property) Also any other tips on filling out the abstract of judgement that I should know before proceeding? (Abstract of Judgement)

I understand that some will recommend that we pass this on to collection lawyers or debt collectors.  I haven't ruled that out. But I've heard that filling an abstract of judgement and skip tracing are relatively cheap and that's the majority of what lawyers/ collectors do.  The majority simply send letters to the debtors and report them to the credit agencies.

Loading replies...