Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Streamer
  • Investor
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Is 24 hours unreasonable to repair an AC?

Jennifer Streamer
  • Investor
  • Royal Oak, MI
Posted Jul 12 2015, 17:05

we have had a good, but picky, tenant for seven years.  He has a lot of requests and most are reasonable.  The three year old air conditioning went out today (Sunday).  

We got in touch with a repair company.  They said they could be there tomorrow afternoon.  They offered to come this afternoon, but there would be a $55 surcharge for a Sunday visit, plus an extra charge if they had to make a second trip because their parts supplier isn't open Sunday.  This was the lowest surcharge I could find, by far.

We told the tenant the repair person would be out tomorrow.  Since the tenant seemed frantic to fix the air, we said they could call the company out today if they were willing to pay the surcharge themselves.  The tenant had called around himself and knew companies were available.

It was a high of 81 today and is going into the 60's tonight.  So it's not painfully hot. Our air is not on at our house.

The tenant is furious.  Did I make a mistake?    Should I have paid the Sunday fee to keep a good tenant happy?

Loading replies...