Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ravi Prabhakar
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Would you rent to this tenant? First Rental, hv done homework but lack experience

Ravi Prabhakar
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jul 27 2015, 15:21

Hi, 

First timer and I just bought and renovated a Duplex in Dekalb, Atlanta. it is a B to C area. Each unit is a 2 bed/1bath, expected to rent at $650-$700. Have got a lot of interest but not many people willing to give a $25 application fee (and the $750 deposit). hv 2 duplexes as neighbors but they are not nearly as nice and rent for around $525. 

After a few viewings, found a lady who drives for Uber, also does a couple of side jobs so (barely) makes the 3X minimum. Last 2 landlords (3 years) give her a clean chit saying she is a good tenant, keeps the house clean (she showed me pics of her house which looks nice) and they would recommend her. Trying to get with current landlord. She drives a nice car, is well spoken and gave me a $200 good faith deposit on my request. She told me she had a bankruptcy in 2009 (dismissed), also her resume, filled out the application the same days etc. 

just did the background and credit check with Rent prep (chose the setting for 600+ score, max bankruptcy, Zero judgments). The report came back with the following:

- no Criminal background

- Seems like she has stayed in 5 places in the last 6 years ( i have the information on the last 3). 

- Evictions:  2 Records (one in 2009 Civil filing with $0 amount, and one in 2010 Civil Judgement $1890 - both by the same property mgmt group -

- Lien/Judgement Filings: 3. One with a Property Mgmt group (judgement $0) in 2011, another 2 with an autocredit company in late 2009 within 2 months of each other with a judgement amount totaling to $8k.

- Bankruptcy - 1 - filing date in early 2010 and closed/discharged in mid 2010 - probably linked to above judgement. 

She did tell me about the bankruptcy but not about the eviction. 

My question :

- How to read the screening report on evictions: does a record mean she has been evicted? what does the $ amount related to a eviction history signify? shd i try to call the PM company to find about more - i found them on the internet.

finally - shd i rent to her or shd i keep looking and if yes what shd i check/ask for. i am planning to talk to her soon about the background. my gut says she is nice but she is being a little bit too nice as she needs this house - she easily gave the money order for the deposit. 

What do you folks advise, 

thanks

Ravi 

Loading replies...