Votes
Joe T.
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Tenant won't submit repairs in writing

Joe T.
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Aug 29 2015, 15:20

I'm starting to get annoyed with my first tenant, and as a first time landlord, i'm not sure what to do. 

A little background information -

Tenant moves in and "forgets" to do move in property and condition form. I informed them that it was due within 10 days after move in via email, and in person, and I had written it down on a list of things that they needed to do, additionally, it was in the lease. They played "dumb" and said they didn't know. Tenant then tells me that they need me to "stop by the house to discuss repairs". I tell them that they need to submit all repairs in writing, per the lease. My tenant has again requested that I come by the house to look over some repairs, and informed me that her parents will be there as well. She then tells me that her dad is a home builder of luxury homes, and that she is used to high quality and homes in perfect condition. Again, I told her to submit it in writing to me so that I have a list of things, and I know what to expect. She still has not sent me a list of repairs, and it is getting extremely annoying. The fact that she is planning on having me come by while her parents are there is no good, (she is 36 btw). I know that they are going to argue with me about doing more repairs than are necessary. I had met with her on Friday because she locked herself out of the house, and had to get an extra key from me. This is when she had again asked me to come over and look over some repairs, and mentioned a lot of cosmetic things (very minor scratches etc). 

What do I do in this situation? I have the Texas Associations of realtors lease, and it covers quite a bit of things, so I know I'm covered. I don't want to be rude with her, but being firm and holding my ground does not seem to be working. I have told her that I will not be visiting her unless she sends me a list of repairs, so I know what to bring with me and what materials i'll need to buy. The thing that still concerns me the most though, is that her parents will be there and I know that this isn't going to end well. 

Long story short - Tenant won't submit me a list of repairs in writing, wants me to come over while parents are there. 

Loading replies...