• Willoughby, OH
Votes |
Paid a nightmare tenant to move out!

Mike Alder
  • Investor
  • Willoughby, OH
Posted Aug 31 2015, 05:05

Hey BP Family,

Here is a fun investing story for you! My partner and I did not do a great job screening a tenant before we let her move into the upstairs unit of a duplex we own in Cleveland Ohio. 

Immediately there was drama and as the first of the next month came up she was short on rent. The following month I filed an eviction. It was a slam dunk in court (which she actually showed up for) the judge gave her 10 days to get out.

Before her move out date she called me and told me she was out and would surrender her keys to me, I thought this was too easy. I drove to the property to meet her son who gave me the keys and requested I return their security deposit to them.

After explaining to this ballsy douche bag that you don't get security deposits back after being evicted he left the property.

Here is where the fun begins!

A few days later my partner calls me in a panic that this crazy tenant was back at the property. She was actually squatting with her son in the downstairs unit leaching off that tenant. We technically couldn't do a thing about it but this tenant wanted her out after a few days but didn't want to be a bad guy about it.

Our solution was to pay the downstairs tenant $250.00 to move out within 5 days and this forced the nightmare tenant off our property. The downstairs tenant was all about it as he wanted a fresh start and we now have the ability to remodel & acquire better tenants.

Let me know if you have ever creatively removed bad tenants from your investments before

Loading replies...