• Real Estate Agent
  • Circleville, OH
Votes |
The best pet policy?

Brandon Schlichter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Circleville, OH
Posted Aug 31 2015, 11:38

Wanting to brainstorm or at least get feedback on an appropriate pet policy.

My rentals are mostly in rougher neighborhoods, but far from the inner city warzones that some landlords are used to, as all my properties are in smaller towns/rural areas. 

One of my struggles this past year has been with pets. My preference is to allow them since most families do have pets, and many landlords around here do not allow them period. In some cases you see people sneak them in without the knowledge of the landlord. I would prefer to allow them from the start with a pet policy that HOPEFULLY limits my damage/risk as much as possible.

Up to this point, I've required a flat $150 for the first pet plus $75 per additional pet. It has worked out decently well, however in three instances now the pet deposit didn't make up near enough for the damage done to the properties, most of the cost came from treating for fleas brought in by dogs. 

So, one improvement I thought of (and unfortunately I haven't done this yet) has been to ask for shot/registration records on the pets. My leases ask that they have shots and register their pets, however I really haven't been enforcing it. Shame on me for not doing it, however I'm curious about the effectiveness you all see with such a policy.

Loading replies...