BiggerPockets

Flooring-Cheap carpet or Cheap laminate?

Forum Powered By:

16 posts by 12 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jason S

Accountant from Oklahoma

May 04 '09, 04:00 AM

I plan on moving and keeping my current residence as a rental.
It is time to replace the carpet and I am wondering if I should just put cheap carpet back in it or put in cheap laminate, as I believe laminate would hold up better? The laminate I am looking at is swift-lock from Lowes it's not the cheapest it's slightly above it at about $1.50/sf I plan on installing it myself(only about 550/sf total) or I could get cheap carpet and have it installed. Any advice on which I should install or anybody that has experience with the longevity of laminate would be greatly appreciated.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:08

Eliott G.

Real Estate Investor from

May 04 '09, 04:31 AM

I would suggest an inexpensive durable tile. It will last A LOT longer than either carpet or laminate. If there is wear and tear over a 3-5 year period, you will replace both carpet and laminate...not tile.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:08

Pete Condit

Ellington, Connecticut

May 06 '09, 11:00 PM

Tile is fine....in someplaces, installed over a rock solid subfloor, preferably a concrete slab. But it's just not appropriate in some places. I couldn't see having a tile living room.

Laminate is cheap and quick and it stands up well, assuming it is not abused. I have it in my bedroom and am happy with it. But, a careless tenant can ruin it quckly with gouges or leaving spills to soak into the cracks.

My recommendation would be good old oak hardwood. Lasts damn near for ever, puts up with abuse, is an acceptable floor surface in pretty much any room and if you can lay it yourself, the price is not that far off other floorings. Assuming this is a place you plan on holding for awhile, I think the extra dollars are a wise investment even if you hire an installer.

Remember, contractors are looking for work in the current economy, so they are likely to give you very reasonable estimates.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:09

Jason Trepins

Real Estate Investor from Wyoming, Michigan

May 06 '09, 11:11 PM

www.lumberliquidators.com
is a good place.
real wood flooring does require periodic maintenance.
but a good HARD wood floor is hard to beat.

Eliott G.

Real Estate Investor from

May 06 '09, 11:21 PM

i guess it depends where you are installing this flooring...tile is great for all high traffic areas..ie Kitchen, bath and hall. Bedrooms is really dependent on the property

Michael Rossi

Real Estate Investor from Ohio

May 06 '09, 11:51 PM

There is NOTHING you can put in a rental that the tenant won't destroy (including tile). Therefore, I would install the cheapest dark color commercial carpet you can find WITHOUT A PAD and simply replace it as necessary. I can do remove and replace a large room of carpet in about one hour (leaving the original tack strips in place).

Mike

Pete Condit

Ellington, Connecticut

May 07 '09, 12:17 AM

Mike makes a good point and for a low end multi family, I might follow his advice. I believe however that you said this was a SFR?

If so and it's a decent one, I suspect you are catering to someone a bit higher up the tenant food chain whom might appreciate higher quality flooring. Also, being a SFR, you may someday move back or sell it. What flooring would you or a prospective new owner want.

As for hardwood not being tenant proof, yeah, I guess nothing is, but, hardwood comes awfully close. Simple carelessness or neglect will not ruin it. You might need to refinish it now and again, but, if you can do the work and have access to a sander, it is fairly quick and quite inexpensive. And if you have one of the newer large orbital models, it's reasonably close to being idiot proof!

Kirk B

Select a State

May 08 '09, 10:49 AM

Oak floors are my favorite. Easy to clean, hard to ruin, can refinish and they look brand new, and they last.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:10

Eric Wang

Real Estate Investor from San Jose, California

May 15 '09, 12:17 AM

Mike I agree with you on the carpet. But I hear carpet last longer with a pad. Not true?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:14

Pete Condit

Ellington, Connecticut

May 15 '09, 08:21 PM

Mike's point is that you asume the tenant will wreck it no matter. Therefore, why bother with the extra expense.

Michael Rossi

May 15 '09, 09:29 PM
1 vote

Eric,

Carpet may very well last longer in a pad if the occupants of the house are normal people. However, most tenants are not normal people. They are on the lower rung of the ladder because they consistently make poor decisions. Many of these people live like pigs! The reason that I don't install carpet pad has nothing to do with money. The problem with carpet pad in a rental is that it holds/traps liquid (water, soft drinks, beer, pet urine) that the idiot tenants are not smart enough to clean up. After a relatively short time, a wet carpet pad will begin to break down and will adhere to the floor. If left in place longer, that pad will completely break down and will be stuck like concrete to the sub-floor - requiring a sander to remove it.

As for hardwood floors - I agree with Pete that they're the best floor you can have and will last the longest in a rental. In fact, we paint the hardwood floors in all of our low-income rentals and they look GREAT, even with some of them being over 100 years old. I didn't talk about hardwood in my original post because the original post was about laminate vs. carpet. Laminate is light years different as compared to hardwood.

Mike

Tony D'Anzica, Esq.

Real Estate Attorney from Syracuse/New York, New York

Jun 03 '09, 10:03 AM

As a property manager I find that the best way to reduce long term maintenance costs when it comes to floors is to get rid of carpets when they've lost their useful life and replace them with linoleum tiles. They last a very long time and they are easier, quicker and cheaper to clean when tenants move out. Ripped/broken tiles can also be easily removed and replaced individually - which is why every one of my apartments has exactly the same type/style/color linoleum tile.

Tony D'Anzica, JD
DynaMax Realty, Inc.
Property Manager

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:26

Jon Klaus Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Jun 10 '09, 08:21 AM

Tony and Mike,what rent price range are you using linoleum tiles and commercial padless carpet in? Or phrased another way, do you stop using the low end durable materials when you are flooring your higher end units?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:31

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Adrian G.

Real Estate Investor from Chicago, Illinois

Jun 10 '09, 08:39 AM

I agree with the linoleum or cheap tiles that you can usually find on special at ANY tile stores.Carpet always looks good for what....the first 3 weeks haha so save a buck and go with tiles.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:31

Will Barnard Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Jun 10 '09, 09:14 AM

You can get a different opinion from different investors (as you have here) but the factor that is missing here is what type of rental area is your unit in? In a higher end place, tenants will want the warmth and comfort of nicer carpet, in low income areas, you want the chepaest and most durable items possible. There is also a happy or sad medium between those two extremes. So the answer really depends on what type of unit you have.
You now have several opinions on several differnt investments. Go with what fits your biz.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:32

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.InvestorExperts.com - For all Southern California House Flippers, Agents, and Wholesalers

Michael Rossi

Jun 10 '09, 10:48 AM

Or phrased another way, do you stop using the low end durable materials when you are flooring your higher end units?

Jon,

I use the same commercial carpet (about 59 cents a square foot) in all my rentals. It is beautiful when installed in any type of house. It just lasts longer in the SFHs with better tenants.

Mike

Edited Jun 26 2010, 08:32

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums