• Charlotte NC Fort Mill SC Lake Wylie SC, SC
Votes |
Mistakes in Eviction Report?

Terri Pour-Rastegar
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte NC Fort Mill SC Lake Wylie SC, SC
Posted Jul 19 2010, 11:52

I just got an eviction report back from the tenant screening company I use (CreditLink), and it lists 2 successful evictions and 3 eviction proceedings initiated on this prospective tenant. I could not believe it because everything else checks out very well--makes good money, 2 stellar landlord references (and I make sure it's really the landlord and not a friend), decent credit, etc.

These evictions came from just 2 different landlords (1 has 1 of the successful evictions, and the other has one successful and 3 initiated evictions that were otherwise resolved) that were not listed on the application--they're older addresses. So I called them and they wanted to see the tenant's authorization to release along with a verification form for me to fill out--I sent all that. Both called me back--1 said that they cannot find this tenant's info on their files because they only just took over management of the complex. The other landlord said she has no record of anyone with tenant's last name ever having rented from them, let alone having been evicted.

The prospective tenant said that he was only a roommate in one place for just 2 months--was never on the lease. He said he never lived at the other address.

I don't lease to anyone with evictions. But I just don't know what to believe. The info on the report just doesn't jive fully with me, and even the reporting company said sometimes there are errors on eviction reports; but I don't just willy nilly believe whatever tenants tell me either. This isn't my first picnic, y'know.

Has anyone else ever had problems with eviction histories from reporting agencies? I'm considering running this guy through another company to get a 'second opinion' on his rental history. Got any suggestions?

Loading replies...