BiggerPockets

Accepting credit card payments with my cell phone?

Forum Powered By:

10 posts by 7 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Shane M

Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, Missouri

Oct 13 '10, 05:31 PM

For those that don't know, a new company called square up allows you to take credit card payments using your cell phone and a card reading device that plugs into the headphone jack. There are no monthly fees and no application to fill out. You are only charged a small transaction fee for each swipe. You can also manually input the card number into your phone, but the transaction fee is a little higher.

When I set-up my account months ago, I attached it to my personal account because I did not have rental property at the time. I didn't really need the thing, but I thought it would be cool to use for those times when you're trying to split a bill at dinner with friends. Anyway, now that I'm in the rental business, I was wondering if I should offer my tennants the ability to pay their rent plus 3.5% (the maximum fee charged by the processor) with a major credit card. My biggest concern is that they'd use it to pay for the rent that they otherwise couldn't afford. I'd hate for it to bite me in the butt later down the road when their monthly credit card payments become unmanageable and they can no longer afford rent.

What do you guys think?

James Hiddle

Wholesaler from Altus, Oklahoma

Oct 13 '10, 06:58 PM

Hmmm sounds interesting but I doubt people would be giving their credit card info to someone with this device. It just sounds like scams could start developing with this device as you'll probably get people to abuse it.

That's JMO.

Shane M

Oct 13 '10, 08:46 PM

That crossed my mind, but I think a tennant would have already put some trust into the landlord. I mean we have all their info and get a check every month with an account number. Now, a total stranger, yeah, I could definitely see that.

Tom K

Real Estate Investor from Mountain View, California

Oct 14 '10, 02:04 AM

Indeed your tenants may want to pay rent (that they don't have) with a credit card. I've had someone try to do that via PayPal but I told them I wasn't going to pay the processing fee.

A couple things if you are going to accept credit cards for payment. First, you cannot charge the credit card fee to your tenant - it's not legal. However, you could set the rent at the higher rate and discount for payment by check. Second, if you accept credit cards, be prepared to deal with all of the protections afforded a credit card customer. You may end up dealing with things such as chargebacks which will result in you chasing money that you shouldn't have to. I'd rather know definitively that I have my rent, without fees, and once paid the tenant can't file a claim to cancel the payment.

Craig Eaton

Property Manager from Mesa, Arizona

Oct 14 '10, 02:37 AM

Shane, I'm leery of accepting credit cards at all. It is my understanding that if you, as the landlord, accept a payment, even a partial payment, it is interpreted as an agreement for you to take less than the full amount owed for that month. The tenant still owes you the full amount which would be made up the next month or from the security deposit at the end of the term. With that said, you could not evict that tenant for non-payment until the next month.

P NW

OR

Oct 14 '10, 07:58 AM

I don't think it would take the tenant long to realize that he can challenge the last 2-3 payments when he moves out.

I've seen my applicant's credit reports. They buy a lot of stuff they can't afford and charge. The majority of them see no reason to pay the credit card company.

However, thanks for the info about the device. I intend to do some selling at the Farmer's Market and it would really be good to be able to accept credit cards.

Shane M

Oct 14 '10, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys. You all make good points. Sounds like it may not be worth the potential pitfalls that could come with it.

James Hiddle

Wholesaler from Altus, Oklahoma

Oct 14 '10, 09:13 AM

I can see places like farmers markets and even the Girl Scouts using this where normally they could only accept cash or checks but for the average joe nah.

Unless you have a reputable business this device would be useless as people would freak if they saw someone slide their credit card on their iphone lol.

Charles Perkins

Landlord from Seattle, Washington

Oct 14 '10, 10:10 AM

Allowing your tenant to pay rent on credit also is likely to give you headaches done the road. Many people have trouble saving.

Say a tenant could charge there 800/mo rent and put it on a card. They make there minimum payments to the credit card company. Instead of say paying you 800/mo they quite likely will be paying 60 or 80/month. There would be a strong temptation to purchase other things with the money they are not currently spending. Eventually the credit card limit comes into play.

Mike K

Real Estate Investor from Northbrook, Illinois

Oct 14 '10, 11:11 AM

I dont even want to know what goes down when you put a stolen credit card through, and all the tricks they can play.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums