BiggerPockets

best ways to fight roaches

Forum Powered By:

27 posts by 16 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Bryan A. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Charlotte, North Carolina

Oct 14 '10, 09:31 AM

to make a long story short, i had tenants move out the week before i bought the building and they lived in filth..even my contractors didn't want to go in there, it smelt so bad..there were roaches everywhere. i had a guy come in and spray..twice the roaches are going into the adjacent apartments due to the spray, bait, and the fact that the food source is gone since the tenants are gone. i have one very clean OCD tenant who i don't want to lose that is planning on moving out bc some of the roaches are moving into his apartment through the walls...do yall know of the best roach killer? these bastards are resilient, and even if you kill them, there's babies in the walls, meaning i'll have to kill another generation of them...hoping you guys might know a 'little known' trick or something..any ideas??

Bryan A., Carolinas Revitalization, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 704-905-6510
To see ongoing and upcoming projects, please like us on Facebook!

Will Barnard Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Oct 14 '10, 09:42 AM
4 votes

Forget about baiting them.
Spray alone will not do it as you see.

Contact a licensed pest control company, speak to their COMMERCIAL department and request a quote for a full fumigation. Request that they drill holes in the walls and shoot "Borid" (which has an active ingredient of Boric Acid in powder form) in there. They should also fumigate using "Pyronyl UL" which is a mixture of Pyrethrins/Butoxide/Piporonyl. This is a flushing agent that causes the roaches to flush from their hiding places, run into the freshly sprayed chemical (I always prefered the chemical Demand CS with an active ingredient of Lambda-Cyhalothrin)

It may take 2 or even 3 treatments to eradicate the problem and is not cheap if done right. If you give me the size of your building, I can tell you what you should expect to pay.

Will

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.InvestorExperts.com - For all Southern California House Flippers, Agents, and Wholesalers

Bryan A. Donor

Oct 14 '10, 09:45 AM

thanks will...6 unit building..does this have to be done in all apts? i've heard of boric acid? i had one tenant say he wanted to drop that around his kitchen floor

Oct 14 '10, 09:53 AM
1 vote

Originally posted by Bryan Alenky:
thanks will...6 unit building..does this have to be done in all apts? i've heard of boric acid? i had one tenant say he wanted to drop that around his kitchen floor
If it is as infested as it sounds to be, then yes, all 6 units would need to be serviced. You can expect to pay at least $500 and depending on how bad it is, as much as $900. You could easily get a discount if you sign up for a monthly maintenance program with the company where they spray each month and cover infestations if they arise. I would probably quote a 6 unit at $200 monthly service and discount the clean out by 20% or so.

It is against the law to spray boric acid in open areas, it must only go in void areas so don't do that.

http://www.InvestorExperts.com - For all Southern California House Flippers, Agents, and Wholesalers

Steve Sparks

Real Estate Investor from cincinnati, Ohio

Oct 14 '10, 12:33 PM

Will,

I have a couple of C- buildings (90 units total). Roaches and bedbugs are always a problem. thing is with turnover new tenants always bring them in. Any suggestions other than control them the best you can?

Steve

Vikram C. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Phoenix, Arizona

Oct 14 '10, 02:27 PM
3 votes

Boric acid mixed with sugar can attract the roaches to wherever you put the boric acid. The acid is not very toxic to humans in small quantities but dissolves some part of the roach's body.

I am not very sure about the government rules in the U.S. about boric acid but it is not very dangerous and is used in other countries to get rid of roaches. It is quite cheap as well and even be purchased on amazon.com.

Michael S.

Residential Real Estate Agent from Camden, New Jersey

Oct 14 '10, 10:04 PM
2 votes

i have to disagree about baits, i have personally used FIPRONIL gel bait and had have roaches literally disappear. american roaches gone in 2 days, german roaches 1-2 week. i would at least give this stuff a try first. make sure it is .05% fipronil not .01% and its on ebay for about $8 a tube....for a 6 unit place you would only need 3 tubes...this stuff was recommended to me by an exterminator.

Just Don

Oct 14 '10, 11:26 PM
1 vote

if you have a sensitive person who cant stand regular sprays,,try some dimaticous(sp) earth. Its the main ingredient in '20 mule team borax',,,it is all natural and cuts their eco skin so they dry out. Organic farmers use it for grain and you CAN eat that stuff. Doesnt harm pets unless they are a bug.

Wouldnt know how it compares in effectiveness. But a three prong attack wouldnt hurt

Bryan A. Donor

Oct 14 '10, 11:27 PM

everyone..thanks for the suggestions....perhaps i overexaggerated the level of infestation lol...there were some nasty tenants a few months ago, but since then most roaches are gone...this OCD tenant is just grossed out by even seeing one or 2 roaches..

will, whenyou say "full fumigation" what does that entail? all units are occupied?

vikram, i'll read into the boric acid, thanks

michael, i'll look into that bait...thanks, do you get it online or can you usually buy in a store?

thanks don..i had actually heard that stuff didn't work so great, but i have never tried it...something to look into

anyone else??

Michael S.

Oct 15 '10, 01:07 AM

michael, i'll look into that bait...thanks, do you get it online or can you usually buy in a store?

its an unbelievable chain reaction, you don't see any dead roaches, it's like they just pack their bags and disappear, when in fact the roach eats the gel, goes to nest dies. other roaches eat it, and feces and the reaction begins

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130360428499&Category=75582&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Edited Oct 15 2010, 01:17 by Michael S.

Vikram C. Donor

Real Estate Investor from Phoenix, Arizona

Oct 15 '10, 02:48 AM

this OCD tenant is just grossed out by even seeing one or 2 roaches..

Bryan, I am like that as well. I cannot stand roaches and will move out if there are roaches in a building. I think this may be quite normal and not OCD. (Or do I have a bit of OCD in me?)

Oct 15 '10, 03:10 AM
1 vote

Originally posted by Vikram C.:
this OCD tenant is just grossed out by even seeing one or 2 roaches..

Bryan, I am like that as well. I cannot stand roaches and will move out if there are roaches in a building. I think this may be quite normal and not OCD. (Or do I have a bit of OCD in me?)
I agree, roaches are filthy, and I could not stand living in the same place as they do, OCD or no OCD. Also, boric acid must stay dry, once it gets wet, it is ruined. This is another reason why it should go into void areas. Spraying borid into the walls works very well as the layer of boric acid dust lines the inside of teh wall and floor and stays there (so long as it remains dry) for a very long time, preventing roaches from infesting there.

Originally posted by Bryan:
Will, whenyou say "full fumigation" what does that entail? all units are occupied?
It is when a technician uses a funigation machine which disperases the chemical into the air and void areas and requires a full facemask and protective equipment. Nobody can be present during or anytime before 4 hours of the treatment, so your tenants would have to be out of the units to complete this process. If the infestation is not as bad, the boric acid should do the trick.

Originally posted by Steve Sparks:
Will,
I have a couple of C- buildings (90 units total). Roaches and bedbugs are always a problem. thing is with turnover new tenants always bring them in. Any suggestions other than control them the best you can?
Steve
The best prevention of roaches is cleanliness, unfortunately, that is out of your control as many apartment dwellers can live like pigs. I suggest you have each unit treated immediately following a vacancy and use a monthly service to help keep them under control. You may also want to add into your lease agreements some rules and penalties for uncleanliness causing the need for an interior treatment of roaches.

Bryan A. Donor

Oct 15 '10, 04:09 AM

vikram, i think all rehabbers/investors probably have some level of OCD...

but yes, i should've been more clear...lol...i don't like roaches either for the record...this tenant keeps his place spotless, which i love, and maybe comes across as OCD only in comparison to other tenants..he made us take off our shoes when we walked across the laminate floor in his kitchen to do a repair...not many tenants are that clean and so i definitely want to keep him..sadly, roaches are somewhat a result of a lower income apartment building

Leslie A.

Real Estate Investor from Houston, Texas

Oct 15 '10, 09:54 AM

I second the gel bait that Michael S recommended. I've know of people with very severe infestations who used it and it got rid of every roach and quick.
Also, Have personally used Combat (the little baits you get at the grocery store) and had great success with a severe infestation in a home I once bought.

Michael S.

Oct 15 '10, 10:49 AM

it is insane that these exterminating companies are still out there spraying these chemicals, when they know this stuff exist! even "billy the exterminator" was using it (fipronil) in a roach infested house on TV...it's all about the $...
Trust me roaches run NJ
it works on ants too

Robert Burns

Real Estate Investor from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Oct 15 '10, 10:54 AM

Years ago, I worked as the national sales manager for Bengal Chemical in Baton Rouge LA and we created and sold the "best" roach spray in the world. It is Bengal Roach Spray. It works like no other and I know because I sold thousands cans and tested hundreds of cans. It uses a powerful synthetic pyrithroid that attracts roaches and attacks their central nervous system. It works in 24 hours and will kill thousands of roaches. I tested it in a filthy duplex as well as many other places and it kills roaches better than anything. Boric Acid works by plugging the roaches digestive system. This method is very slow and does not attract roaches. Nothing attracts and kills roaches like Bengal Roach Spray.

David Jackson

Real Estate Investor from The Woodlands, Texas

Oct 15 '10, 12:46 PM
1 vote

Active ingrediant Fipronil is the way to go.

Termidor - external spray (termites and ants)
Phantom - internal spray (ants and roaches and household pests)
Gel bait - internal roaches and ants (only reason to use this is if you want to spray cupboards or counters but there are dishes etc on them)
granules - gets rid of fire ants on entire treated area.. awesome stuff ie.. your yard

The spray and gel work the same. This stuff is a spray on bait that attracts the roaches, gets on them, and when they take it back to the nest and groom each other they take out the tribe. I skip the gel all together and use the spray.

Compare to the Demad product mentioned above. Demand is not a bait. It is a repellant that kills on contact but does not infect the reast of the nest. Each roach has to come in contact with it which if why they have to do the flush. If done properly it is plenty effective.

The demand costs half as much as the fipronil which is why most exterminators use demand (active - bifentherin) If you can get your hands on fipronil your problem will be over with one application. Squirt squirt and out.

Used to treat major restaurants for roaches.

Craig H.

Real Estate Investor from Macon, Georgia

Oct 19 '10, 01:29 PM

best ways to fight roaches

Hand to hand.

Derek Roach

San Diego, California

Aug 09 '11, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Vikram C.:
Boric acid mixed with sugar can attract the roaches to wherever you put the boric acid. The acid is not very toxic to humans in small quantities but dissolves some part of the roach's body.

I am not very sure about the government rules in the U.S. about boric acid but it is not very dangerous and is used in other countries to get rid of roaches. It is quite cheap as well and even be purchased on amazon.com.

Yes, Boric acid is harmless in small quantities and that is how it should be applied to eliminate roaches.

Boric acid can be found in products such as mouthwash & toothpaste, but is deadly to roaches. Apply a very thin layer, almost like a thin layer of dust. Cracks, crevices, or behind appliances are common areas to put the stuff.

Michael D.

Residential Landlord from San Jose, California

May 17 '12, 11:41 AM

@BryanA

Were you able to resolve your roach problem? What method did you use? How did it work out?

I've got a 9-unit with roach problems, and for now my management company is mostly just planning to spray regularly - which isn't a solution for me at all.

Any advice?

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums