General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Landlord needs advice...

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:58

I recently cut down a large Black Walnut tree in a patio area located in the backyard of my rental property. The tree was infested with ivy high and low and though it provided privacy, I felt sooner or later it would cause bigger problems. The tree damaged another tree on the way down but the brush has been hauled off and things cleaned up.
Now as I see it, this is turning into a project.
No, it doesn’t look great but like any other project, you have to find the bottom.
I would like to and have started to renovate this patio area by doing some brick work. A lamp post and planters have been started and thoughts of a man made barrier for privacy are being given consideration.

The tenant is being very difficult…
All I would like to do is gain access and complete this project!
Below, please find comments by the tenant and please give me some advice!

email 1:
See attached pages 32 and 33 from the CALIFORNIA TENANTS publication by the CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS.
Specifically WHEN CAN THE LANDLORD ENTER THE RENTAL UNIT.
I got clarification on key words that apply to our situation from an attorney.
1. RENTAL UNIT means PREMISES as defined by your rental agreement.
2. To make NECESSARY means EMERGENCY repairs, ORDINANCE or BUILDING CODE compliance.
3. AGREED-UPON means that we APPROVE repairs, decorations, alterations or other improvements.
All other language is very clear about agreements, proper notification, landlord abuses and violations.
Without agreement you do not have the right to enter.

email 2:
At this time we will not agree to beginning new construction or brick work on the patio.
We will agree at a more appropriate time in the future after discussion amongst ourselves.
You can store only materials already purchased for this project under the awning on the left side of the shed.
At this time we will not agree to trimming, pruning or cutting of any more landscaping.
We will agree to cleanup of what has already been cut.
We expect discussion on securing the breach in the landscaping from unauthorized cutting.
This place looks like hell between unnecessary construction and unauthorized devastation to the landscaping.
You are clearly demonstrating that you only make it worse.
Enough is enough we must have our privacy back and no more mess.

Loading replies...