General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Craigslist and Scams

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:58

I've been using craigslist to post rental vacancies, and I know from posts here that a lot of you are, too. Do you get flooded with these out-of-town scammers? As soon as I post an add I get about 5 replies (within 30 minutes sometimes) of people "moving" here. I've been ignoring most of them, because when I do investigate, the story is invariably fishy. They give lots of details (such as they are coming to work for so-and-so) but when you check it out, so-and-so has never heard of this person. I even get phone calls like this. I guess it's just a part of life, I was just surprised by how flagrant it is and how little I've heard of it. From what I can tell, most of these scammers are either fishing for good email addresses (once you reply to them, they've got your real email address) or they're part of the fake cashier check scam (where you get a cashiers check for more than the deposit, refund the difference, then discover that the original check was bad). What experiences have the rest of you had? I've probably missed out on a legitimate renter or two, I suppose.

Loading replies...