BiggerPockets

Wording of Late Payment Notice

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jeff B.

Real Estate Investor from Taylor Mill, Kentucky

Aug 03 '11, 09:49 AM

What wording do you use on your Late Payment Notice? I have a family that has only been in the unit for 3 months and has been late by a day for 2 of those months. Lease contract states due on the 1st and late if paid after the 3rd.

I think I need to reinforce the payment due date with them and was wondering what everyone uses.

Mark H.

SFR Investor from Phoenix, Arizona

Aug 03 '11, 10:13 AM

I use a discount if rent is received by me on or before the first, and a daily penalty if paid after the 5th.

It might be best to talk to other landlords in your area to see what will "fly" with the judges there...

FWIW, I advertised my property without the "discount", and after vetting the tenant, explained that my wife (the accountant), would kick my behind if she has to write a mortgage check on the first, and we haven't received a rent check yet.

Then, I offered the "discount" for early payment... the tenant then (gratefully) offered a stack of post-dated checks to ensure she gets the "discount"...

It's working for me so far...

Kyle Meyers

Residential Landlord from Indianapolis, Indiana

Aug 03 '11, 10:19 AM

I would be careful not to word it too harshly, having a tenant that pays consistently, even if one day late, is better than no tenant or one that doesn't pay at all. Try talking to them and asking if there is a reason for the late payments, that may be enough to get them to pay on time.

Jeff B.

Real Estate Investor from Taylor Mill, Kentucky

Aug 03 '11, 10:31 AM

Yeah, it's too late for the discount. Lease is already signed. But I do like the idea of the discount. It can be encouragement to pay up. I will likely do that on my next lease.

Kyle, I'm not wanting to word it harshly at all. That's why I'm wondering what others are using. I don't want to scare them off. They have been pretty good so far (if not the best house keepers).

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Aug 03 '11, 10:39 AM

You can still do the discount. Just tell them you'll knock $20 off the rent (maybe $10 if we're talking about $500 in rent) if they pay on of before the first. Its worked wonders for me.

Just tell them there is a late fee if they pay even one day late. Presumably that's in your lease. Stick to your guns and insist on it being paid. My lease says I apply money to late fees or other charges first, then rent. So, if they refuse to pay the late fee, but do pay the next months rent, apply it to the late fee first, then rent. Now the rent is short and you can post a pay or quit. I understand being gentle at first, and have worked with tenants that had a problem. But the late fees are big motivators.

You should ask, however, if there is something that forces them to be a few days late. If so, I move back the due date a couple of days, but increase the late fee. If they really need to pay on, say, the 10th, have them pay 10 days rent and shift the rental period back to the 10th through the 10th instead of 1st to 1st.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Robert Daniels

Real Estate Investor from California

Aug 06 '11, 07:50 PM

heres what i use. got it online somewhere:

Notice of Late Fee Assessment

Date of notice: August 5, 2011

Property: 1234 property Avenue
propville, Ca. 92345

Dear jon smit,

Rental payment for the above property has not been received as of the date of this notice. As a result and according to your lease, a late charge has been added to your total balance. Your current balance is now $1,550.00 plus an additional fee of $5.00 per day for every day thereafter until rent is paid. This entire balance must be paid immediately. Your urgent attention is required. Failure to act promptly may lead to eviction proceedings. If eviction is sought, you may be responsible for additional charges, such as court and attorney fees, and your credit rating could be affected.

Please disregard this notice if you have already mailed your payment.

Sincerely,

bigbad landlord :)

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums