BiggerPockets

How much should a new roof cost.

Forum Powered By:

32 posts by 22 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Michael Lauther

Residential Landlord from Hampton Bays, New York

Jan 08 '12, 03:37 PM

Can anyone give me a reasonable estimate for replacing a roof Per square , have both 1 & 2 story sf homes . Mostly 800 to 1100 sq ft . homes. I am looking to budget for replacement in Dayton Ohio. I believe that we can put new shingles over exhibiting shingles only if it will be a second set of shingles not a 3rd. How much to Re-shingle as well as to to remove old roof repair plywood and replace shingles.

Mark Updegraff Donor

Real Estate Investor from Rochester, New York

Jan 08 '12, 04:00 PM

I just had a 9K quote on about 7 square. That was complete tear and re-shingle. Depending on the condition of the underlayment the cost could jump a bit. Up here we even have cedar shake sometimes from the orig build, which means plywood is needed over the whole thing! My contractor uses top quality underlayment & shingle. His job is also designed for the abrasive winter months, so there is a bit of a premium for that.

Hope it helps :D
Mark

Medium_leavesMark Updegraff, Updegraff Development LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (585) 666-3069
http://UpdegraffDevelopment.com Real Estate Investment & Property Management, Rochester NY

Chris Masons

Real Estate Investor from Union, New Jersey

Jan 08 '12, 04:02 PM

Hi Mike,

Are you looking at cost of materials and doing ityourself, or are you looking for a complete price on material and labor from a roofing company?

Prices from roofers vary greatly esp. by area. Find a couple reputable roofers and call them out and get a bunch of estimates for a baseline to go off on.

regards,
chris

Michael Siekerka

Real Estate Investor from Louisville, Kentucky

Jan 08 '12, 04:13 PM

To add to what Chris suggested, I highly recommend getting a subscription to Angie's list if you're looking for contractors. Usually you can call the top 3-4 ranked people for whatever you're looking for. If you happen to slip into the conversation that you found them on Angie's list, I've noticed the pricing seems to get much more competitive. They are much more motivated to do an excellent job when they have their reputation on the line.

If you're planning on doing it yourself....good luck!

Michael Siekerka, Rinnovate LLC

David Wedemire

Real Estate Investor from Bellingham, Washington

Jan 08 '12, 04:16 PM

ServiceMagic.com is another excellent resource. I located a vendor who did a complete tear off, repair and shingle on a 1100sqf house for $8,000.

Michael Lauther

Jan 08 '12, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input so far. I am not doing it myself, I am trying to gauge the cost per square so I can judge the estimates I am getting. they range from $3000 to put a new roof over the existing. ( that may not be to code if there are already 2 sets) and $6500 for a tear down replace any rotted plywood and replace .

Ryan B.

Real Estate Investor from -, Illinois

Jan 08 '12, 04:25 PM

Just had complete tear-off of 3 layers (not supposed to have more than 2 layers by code), alot of wood replacement, new underlayment, flashing, vents and shingles on a 905sqf house done for $5900. Also the roofer let me fill the dumpster up the rest of the way from all the demo work I did inside, saved me another $250.

Michael Lauther

Jan 08 '12, 04:33 PM

Thanks Ryan, how many square were used? Mark's estimate is $1286 a square for a complete tare and re shingle. I know you are in very different areas but it will give me some insight.

Will Murphey

Real Estate Investor from San Angelo, Texas

Jan 08 '12, 05:05 PM

A few months back I had a 720 Sqft house done for $2400. It had two existing layers. They took it down to the plywood and replaced three bad 4 X 8 sheets, new flashing etc.

James Martin

Residential Real Estate Agent from Memphis, Tennessee

Jan 08 '12, 05:29 PM
1 vote

I have not heard an answer yet! If you do not have a roofing contractor look to spend around $55 to $65 a square for a lay over and $85 to $95 a square for tear off and lay including the nails and felt ( No Decking ). I just bought 28squares open pack 30yr shingles from a discount roofing yard for $1800. Three tab would have been $1,000. I pay $35 a square for lay over and $55 for tear off and lay. I was out of $2,800 for whole job including the dump fee. My prices are cheap because of all the renovation work I do.

Collin Sparks

Real Estate Investor from Dayton, Ohio

Jan 08 '12, 05:53 PM
1 vote

I am located in Dayton Ohio and my other company is a landscape installation company. Being in the industry I have run into most of the roofing contractors in the area and can tell you some companies to look at and some to stay away from if you would like. Feel free to message me.

Chris Calabrese

Rehabber from Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Jan 08 '12, 06:12 PM

I know in my market $200/square is a pretty good estimate for a re-roof. If you price it out yourself, materials probably run about $100/square for architectural shingles, felt, ridge vents, etc. A 11000 sf ranch should be about 22 squares or around $4500.

Ed O.

Real Estate Investor from

Jan 08 '12, 06:57 PM

The wholesale price in my market is $90/square for architectural 30 yr shingles and 65-85 per square for tear off, install and removal of debris. Add felt, drip edge, roof vent, ice dam barrier ($1/ft labor)
Around $200 per square total is pretty good. Some of the prices up there make me cringe.
Also, I never shingle over another layer. You never know if / where the decking is bad. Sure, you might get by, but I'd sleep easier knowing it's all good. You could cut the roof life in half.

Alex Craig

Real Estate Investor from Memphis, Tennessee

Jan 08 '12, 07:54 PM
1 vote

About $35 a square. Roofing contractors margins are insane for a trade that requires very little training. One can be fully trainded after putting on their first 2 roofs. I don't pay much more for a tear off. Basically I figure in the cost of the dumpster and about a 1/2 day more labor. I always consider when paying a contractor had skilled the task is. The guys up on the roof are making around $12 a hour. With that in mind, paying huge charges for a Roofing Contractor doesn't make much sense. Also, consider a roof can be put on in 1 day. Is that really worth thousands?

Medium_turnkeylowresAlex Craig, Memphis Turnkey Properties
Telephone: 901-848-9028
Alex Craig President www.MemphisTurnkey.com www.LittleRockTurnkey.com

Alex Craig

Real Estate Investor from Memphis, Tennessee

Jan 08 '12, 07:56 PM

David--$8,000? What was the shingles made of? Is that what roofs cost in your part of the country? If so, I am in the wrong business.

Medium_turnkeylowresAlex Craig, Memphis Turnkey Properties
Telephone: 901-848-9028
Alex Craig President www.MemphisTurnkey.com www.LittleRockTurnkey.com

Dick M.

Electrical Contractor from Maine

Jan 09 '12, 06:09 AM

Really $35 / square?? Shingles have jumped from $11 to $29 a bundle recently, it takes 3 bundles per sq, how does one do a roof for half the price of materials???

Michael Lauther

Jan 09 '12, 06:19 AM

Perhaps I need to understand roofing terminology better. How much area is covered in a square of roofing as this differs from the square foot of the roof. also a quality roofing job will require proper venting and something called an ice dam barrier. It sounds like I should be getting a detailed estimate to evaluate price.

Dick M.

Electrical Contractor from Maine

Jan 09 '12, 06:23 AM

A square is 100 sg ft. it takes 3 bundles to do a square. and yes at least in freezing areas, you need ice and water shield and drip edge.

Michael Lauther

Jan 09 '12, 06:35 AM

Thanks Dick, this clears up some of my confusion.

Carole M.

Multi-family Investor from Morton Grove, Illinois

Jan 09 '12, 07:30 AM
1 vote

Price depends on the type of roof and the age of the building. We had a flat roof on an 83 year old building. The roof had been patched by my parents many times. Leaks inside the 2nd floor unit. Roofer put on a new roof and charged me $12,500, however when I had the roof checked a week afterwards, I found he put a new roof over old rotten boards and the moisture bumps were starting to show- he was to replace some of the boards as stated in the contract. Long story short, he would not redo the roof, so it cost me another $11,500 to have the new roof pulled up and replace the rotten wet boards underneath. I took him to Court. Lesson learned - make sure you know the condition of the board/planks replaced when doing a new roof and again depedning on age, replacee them. It will be cheaper in the long run.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums