Votes
Jhansi B.
  • San Ramon, CA
Votes |
tenant withholding rent saying landlord hasn't fixed the items

Jhansi B.
  • San Ramon, CA
Posted Jul 23 2012, 23:14

Here is the story short. Rented single family home in March and the tenant was late in payment in May (which I gave her grace period and first time late fee waiver) and again she was late in June but said that she paid but bank paid to wrong acct etc..

In July she hasn't paid rent yet and when I sent her texts and email which she hasn't replied and suddenly this evening I get an email saying she is withholding rent because I haven't fixed the items in the house. My last communication with her is text message saying AC is not working which we have replaced recently and then she replied saying it's been taken care of the guy who replaced it. We replaced water heater, AC, Furnace, replaced the floors, all the appliances etc..

Unfortunatley roof leaked three four months ago and water came through the drywall in the garage. She has never mentioned to me that the moisture came to her daughters room. Now she says that there is mold and she had to go and purchase mold remediation stuff this weekend etc.. also there is gap in the side garage door we installed so pests are coming in, and AC guy took time to fix the problem which increased her PG&E bill $200 and there is a stump in the front yard which is a sore eye etc..

My gut feeling is she doesn't have money to pay so she is using all these as excuse. I would really love for her to move because I don't want to deal with people like this. These are free loaders, they just don't want to do what is right, pay rent but find excuses not to pay rent.

What should I do now?

Thanks

Loading replies...