BiggerPockets

Who is responsible for clogged drains?

4 posts by 4 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

James W.

Real Estate Investor from San Diego, California

Jul 16 '05, 12:37 AM

Is the owner or the tenant responsible? The drains were not clogged when the house was rented out so I would think it is automatically the tenants fault. Can I charge the tenant to fix the drains?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 02:51

N/A N/A

Jul 16 '05, 02:08 AM

I was looking into your problem, and found an interesting answer. Basically, you are responsible for any damage caused by tree roots, bad pipes, or other natural wear & tear. If the clog was caused by your tenant (by shoving something down the drain that didn't belong, or otherwise), they should pay. You plumber can normally tell you what the cause was.

I'd consult your RE Attorney to be certain, though. Also, check your rent agreement to see if you've got anything included in it.

Frank Adams

Loveland, CO

Jul 17 '05, 03:32 AM

Yep, Pam is right on again! I used to tell my tenants that I would come over and snake the drain, BUT if a Barbie Doll or similar comes out they're paying. Never had a quarrel with a tenant regarding this.

all cash

Wallace S. Gibson

Property Manager from Charlottesville, Virginia

Jul 27 '05, 10:04 PM

If property is a SFR, then tenant should pay unless it is roots, etc. The best solution is to make ANY clog after the first 5 days of the lease to be the tenants' responsibility.

In a multi-family, it is harder to pinpoint who is responsible so offering to split that cost might be appropriate.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums