Alex O.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Rental Agents Calling Me

Alex O.
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Oct 10 2012, 15:04

Hi All,

I just wanted to get your thoughts and insights. Every time I list an apartment for rent, I always get solicited from rental agencies and agents wanting a month's rent to take over listing my unit. I don't see a lot of value added for their fee, as most of these people just spam CL like crazy. I can do that on my own!

Lately, I've gotten a new tactic, an agent calling and saying they have a client that would be either perfect for the space or is interested in seeing it. I've always caught them off guard by saying that while I won't pay an agent's fee, that if they really think it's in the best interest of their client and the place is perfect, they are free to give them my number. Usually there's some silence and a "I'll let them know". Of course I never hear back.

I was wondering if this happens to you, or if you actually think they have a real prospect for the property? If I didn't value my time so much, I'd actually call their bluff and see if they put on a show by bringing someone out! Do you think there's real value in using these agents? I know they will put it on the MLS, but how much value does that really add beyond the usual free to me marketing tools?

Thanks!

Loading replies...