Votes
Daniel Miller
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
question about renting to unrelated groups

Daniel Miller
  • Fremont, CA
Posted Oct 22 2012, 09:40

Well, my weekend showing went very well. I had six families/groups view it, and I've received applications from four of them. Not too bad. I felt good about every group who came through. Nobody was picky or asking for modifications up front.

I had one group that I'm a little uncertain about. Actually, they are third in line for review, so I may not even be checking them out, but I wanted to see what people think about applicants like this;

Two women showed up to look at the house. They were both in their 20's (my guess, I haven't actually checked). They were friends, not related, and want to rent the house with their boyfriends (so four 20's adults total). They (the two viewers) told me they (all four prospects) had reliable jobs and plenty of cash. They got all four applications back to me expeditiously (within a few hours), which probably is not a bad sign.

My main concern is "division of financial responsibility" (to make up a phrase); by that I mean, if one person moves out, will the others be able to make the rent? What if two move out (for example one couple decides to get married and get their own place)? Let's say two move out, the other two want to stay, but can't easily make the rent and want to find other tenants to move in??

Has anyone else dealt with this situation in the past? Is there an accepted process for dealing with such eventualities? Or should I just consider them ineligible?

Loading replies...