Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mattie Covatch
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
New Roommate wanting to move in Same Day. Bad sign?

Mattie Covatch
  • New York City, NY
Posted Nov 14 2012, 15:41

I had a new tenant (roommate) want to move in same day. I said a Thursday move-in is what I'm looking for. I told this person that I would send them the rental application. They said they had people that could vouch for them-- I said I didn't need personal references, just the rental app itself. I thought I sent it yesterday, but they say they didn't get it so I resent it.

This person says they're living with a significant other right now. This person owns a house that they rent out. I already verified this. They got the house i marital breakup. I even looked up the divorce to see if there was one -- there was. It's a fairly good priced house, so they get pretty good rental income from it. Their house is almost the price of my house. They are essentially self-employed in a services field with a business office. I verified office address, but not income or bank statements.

The homeownership is great. Them wanting to move-in same day is what makes me wonder if something is off.

Are they trying to rush moving in simply because they don't want to live with their current significant other, or they trying to move in without being screened? Are they trying to move in and bounce a check?

Do I 100% need to check their credit? Since they've owned their house for several years now, there likely won't be landlord references that I can call.

Does something 'feel' off about this to you?

Loading replies...