Doug S.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Tenant threatening to sue over wants mold inspection

Doug S.
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 28 2012, 10:53

Hello BiggerPockets Forum,

I have tenants in my SFH rental property in Virginia that are giving me a headache. The basement, where one of the tenants is living, has had some minor flooding. I've spent several thousand to install a water barrier to prevent water from coming inside, replaced the carpet and underlayment, and replaced the base boards. Now the tenant who lives in basement is demanding a mold inspection. The house is only 3 bedrooms, but 4 people live in it and basement is NOT technically considered bedroom.

I am under any obligation to provide a mold inspection? I feel like I've already remediated the problem and I have no reason to believe there is any mold damage or that the basement is uninhabitable. There is no visible mold. To be honest, I may normally would be willing to provide the report but the requests of this tenant never seems to end. The tenant is really pushy and self righteous - now threatening to sue because I will not order a mold inspection.

The lease they signed is not covered under VRLTA but this does apply: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+55-225.6

Thanks

Loading replies...