• Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Votes |
large family applied to rent small house

Nancy Roth
  • Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Posted Feb 5 2013, 05:56

The applicant, a single woman, has 4 kids. My rental in Baltimore city has two legal bedrooms plus a 3rd "bonus room" upstairs that has no exterior window or closet, so we advertise it as a 2-bedroom. Occupancy guidelines call for 2 occupants per bedroom plus one. So they are at the limit. I am not allowed, of course, to turn her down based solely on her familial status, especially if they meet the occupancy guidelines.

She has held a steady job since 2002 and is generating more than 3x the rental amount. On the other hand she is supporting four kids. I don't know if her first priority will/can be paying the rent.

If her financial/criminal/previous landlord records check out I'm inclined to accept her with a bigger security deposit, so that she has a stake in keeping up the house, as her money will pay for repairs beyond normal wear and tear. I'm also thinking about offering incentives for good upkeep.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about this. FWIW, I own the house outright. I want very much to rent it but don't have to settle for just anyone.

Many thanks!
Nancy Roth

Loading replies...