BiggerPockets

Rent To Own Contract Breach in PA - Rules?

Forum Powered By:

4 posts by 3 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Mike Watson

California, Pennsylvania

Aug 03 '13, 06:14 PM

I have a bad Buyer that I am in a RTO contract with. He's since breached the contract over an issue other than late payments. I gave him a 10 day quit notice today. What are the differences of a RTO contract breach eviction and a reg. eviction?

Michael Johnson

Real Estate Investor from Parker, Colorado

Aug 03 '13, 10:14 PM

From what I understand an RTO contract should be separate from the lease. The tenant should be under a normal lease, for which you could evict, while the RTO contract spells out the terms of purchase. A breach of the lease should trigger a clause in the RTO contract causing forfeiture of any monies applied. Now, this is assuming that the RTO contract was constructed correctly. If it wasn't then you'll probably need to contact an attorney to help you. So, to answer your question, there should be no difference between an RTO eviction and a 'regular' eviction. They should be one and the same. I'll look forward to reading any corrections to my understanding, of course. :)

Mike Watson

California, Pennsylvania

Aug 04 '13, 12:26 PM

Thanks Mike. I am going to talk to an attorney this week. They are not paying the water bill, which the contract states MUST be kept current. Not sure how long they can be allowed to stay in the property w/o running water. I am learning ALOT from this experience...

Wayne Brooks

West Palm Beach, Florida

Aug 04 '13, 02:48 PM

This is definitely not a do it yourself deal..Your RTO agreement could have actually given the buyer an equitable interest, which requires something more like a foreclosure than an eviction.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums