BiggerPockets

Pros / Cons to using Company Name on Lease Agreement

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 6 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Adrian M

Real Estate Investor from Los Angeles, California

Sep 05 '13, 03:01 PM

Hi,

I'm considering the use of my Company Name (LLC Name) on my Lease Agreements (as opposed to my Personal Name). I think this will imply more formality. For example, I just denied a Rental Application (due to Accounts in Collections and Criminal Activity). The Applicant is trying to contact me to explain his case (justify the negative information). I replied by stating that my company has strict guidelines for accepting Rental Applications. My theory is that Tenants, and in this case, Potential Tenants, will consider policies (and guidelines) more formal, if they are dealing with a company (as opposed to an individual).

I would really appreciate some advice on the pros / cons of using my Company Name (LLC Name) on future Lease Agreements (and related documents).

Thank you for your time!!

-Adrian

Account Closed

Dallas, Texas

Sep 05 '13, 03:05 PM

Adrian,

If your rental is in your company name that is what you need to used on all lease agreements. Did you tell them why you denied the Rental Application

Joe Gore

James Wise

Real Estate Investor from Cleveland, Ohio

Sep 05 '13, 05:55 PM

I think company name is the way to go. That way when you deny an odd request or charge a late fee you dont have to be the "bad" guy,

Medium_holton_wise_property_group_logo_jpegJames Wise, The Holton Wise Property Group
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 440 212 2195
www.ERA-Lentz.com

Michelle L

Property Manager from Big Bear Lake, California

Sep 05 '13, 07:27 PM

Definitely use the company name. When I used to rent my property under my personal name, people were way more demanding about things. Once everything was under my company name, very few problems after that. It's a lot easier to say it's company policy.

Jerry W.

Real Estate Attorney from Wyoming

Sep 05 '13, 07:59 PM

@Adrian M if the property is owned by your company you should legally have the lease in your company name. Usually the main point in forming a company is to take advantage of the limited liability laws. If you do not follow a fairly strict separation of company from personal the courts can pierce the corporate veil, or disregard the company and make you personally liable. You should get specific information in your state as to what the corporate formalities that are required.

Rick L.

Real Estate Investor from Saint Louis, Missouri

Sep 05 '13, 08:13 PM

Put everything in your LLC's name. Also, when signing contracts, etc I was instructed by my attorney to sign by writing: My Name for My Company LLC

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums