Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Brian Larson
  • Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
My First Flip - Remotely done in Norther Arizona (near Sedona)

Brian Larson
  • Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Posted Oct 25 2014, 09:50

**PICS COMING SHORTLY**

I just found this thread and figured I would post even though the rehab is complete and the property is listed. I have another just starting and will post in another thread.

Note: I live in Los Angeles area and am doing a remote flip. Due to J Scott's book and his podcast I decided to make sure the flip was with someone I could trust intrinsically and would care about the job as much as I do. Thus my birddog, estimator, GC, project manager and everything else is @Kyle Larson my brother who is local to the area. 

Purchase Details:

• REO listed on MLS. Started at $49k in January of 2014
  • Put under contract for $28,000 in late June
  • Closing delayed 2 months due to electric work needing completion (bank paid $4k to get new work complete)
  • Closed on 9/17
  • Purchase Price: $28,000 ($2k below our our target acquisition price)
  • Paid cash, rehab costs out of my pocket as well to keep minimal holding costs (outside cost of money and opportunity cost)

House Details:

• Built 1985, 2 bed/2 bath, 950 sq ft on 1/8 acre lot near a creek and now defunct golf course
  • House looks like its manufactured. Had to triple check it wasn't...it isn't :)
  • Estimated Rehab was $13,500
  • During inspection we found termite damage that would cost approximately $2K in tenting and repairs. Since we saved the $2k on acquisition we rolled with it
  • Actual Rehab with termite was $15,500 (fantastic job on estimate by my brother on his first flip. Also thanks to J Scott's estimator worksheet
  • Estimated ARV: We went conservative - $75k
  • Currently listed (as of 10/17) for $87.5k

Rehab Details:

• Remove old carport and porch
  • Rebuild and reface deck
  • replace both Baths
  • New flooring throughout
  • Fix siding, paint exterior
  • Drywall work, paint and baseboards throughout
  • Heavy landscape cleanup, gravel, etc
  • Appliances, cooling/heating and inside electrical were all good to go
  • Kitchen could have used an update but was in good shape and at this price point was just right for the area.

So this is less of a diary than it is a summary but we still have to sell! I am excited at the possible profit and feel very good about turning the neighborhood eyesore into a nice home for a small family or older couple looking to retire by the creek. Win/Win/Win

Brian

Loading replies...