• Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
AirBNB Side Hussle

Brittany DeWitt
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted May 14 2015, 13:22

Hey all!  My boyfriend and I bought our first investment property (an owner occupied duplex) about 2 years ago.  We spent a lot of money in the first two years bringing it up to date some and cleaning it up.  Now we're ready to start saving for property #2.

We were brainstorming ways to save up our down payment even faster and settled on AirBNB.  We had two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a bonus room in a walk out basement that we rarely used.  They were all already furnished (as a bedroom, office, and living room), so we listed it as a suite on AirBNB.  

I spent about $600 on startup costs: two sets of sheets, blankets, towels, a nice single cup coffee pot, some other decorative touches, and keying the walk out basement door.  

This is our second month using airbnb.  The first month we made back the $600 in start up costs.  This month we're looking to bring in at least $850 (and still have 7 days free that could get booked!).

Every dollar counts, right?  So far I'm really excited at how successful it has been for us.  

Loading replies...