Votes
Brian Dwyer
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
Crowdfunding - Pre-sales

Brian Dwyer
  • Boulder, CO
Posted Apr 17 2014, 11:08

This is a question for you crowdfunding experts out there: Have you considered or heard about a real estate crowdfunding model that utilizes pre-sales?

For example: If I am "kickstarting" my business selling widgets, I may say "For X dollars you get a widget when once I have made them."

In a real estate deal, however, usually we are selling shares of the entity that ultimately will own the project once completed. But what if you are financing a condo project, and decide to pre-sell some of the units to the crowd (i.e. for $20,000 you have right of first refusal or option to buy a particular unit for $100,000 upon completion). You, the developer, have built in a certain amount of profit to this arrangement, and assuming you have controlled for costs, reduced the overall risk of the project. So, basically you are doing the same thing as the widgets business but at a much larger scale.

What I am asking is: What are the legal implications of this? Is this being done currently, or being considered?

Loading replies...