Karen Capps
  • East Helena, MT
Votes |
San Bernardino County, CA Newbie Here

Karen Capps
  • East Helena, MT
Posted Apr 23 2014, 22:10

Hi All!

I'm just getting started on this site, have been reading and reading for hours already! Actually quite excited! Kinda funny coming from a 54 year old who never even earned a high school diploma but still makes a decent living doing bookkeeping.

Anyway, my hubby is a full time Enterprise Architect and I'm a Bookkeeper/Seamstress. We don't have kids and do fine for ourselves but.... the big but... we know we want to have the time and money to do things to our own home as well as travel a bit before we kick the bucket. That's not going to happen on the limited retirement funds we are currently building. Sooo... the REI siren keeps calling....it's time!

We have "managed" a couple family owned apartment buildings for well over 20 years and recently discovered the "it'll be yours someday" has been voided with the passing of a parent. Sadly 20+ years of work and investment down the tubes. *sigh* Live and learn.

9 years ago we bought a 1 acre residential property for a steal because we became friends with the owner. It was a major fixer and he wanted out. We didn't ever want to "live" in it so we got "caretakers" who trashed it more and hubby reached the point of "burn it or sell it! I don't care". We struggled to the 14 month ownership mark to reduce early pay-off penalties and sold it for a $110k profit. With that we bought our home in the mountains... basically less than a year before the "bubble", so we paid too much for our house but we love it here!

Those are our two real estate experiences. We hope to start again only this time with a plan of growing our "portfolio" through study and hard work learning from and with this community.

I am ecstatic that I came across this site... I have signed up... been reading voraciously and can't wait to start the second half of our lives, sharing as we go with this community!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Josh & Brandon!

Cheers,

The Capps

Loading replies...