Votes |
Long time lurker and first time member from Springfield Illinois

David Catlin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Divernon, IL
Posted Jul 31 2014, 14:34

Good Morning,

My name is Dave Catlin and I want to create a lifestyle career using real estate. I'm 27 and have an MBA and an office job I hate. I would consider myself to have the millennial mindset. I am way to ADD to sit at a desk from 9-5.I am recently married, own my home, and have a large amount of debt! 33K in student loans, about 11k on plastic (wedding/honeymoon/school), plus house

My experience in real estate is limited to spending time with my grandfather growing up.He had several rental houses and would always be working on them.As I grew up and paid more attention to the business side of his work I realized that he was working just to stay busy and not working to create more income.His end goal was always to create more income but he was always distracted by the job of remodeling and updating.He has been my mentor and main father figure for years but now it is time I “upgrade” to someone capable of guiding me in the direction I want to go.I will always love my grandfather but his business sense is not one I need to follow.

My goals in real estate are to create a "four hour work week" (gotta love the Tim Ferriss way of life) by a combination of buy and hold and flips.I hope to use this method to create a stable business and then move into apartment complexes.After lurking on this site I have learned about the different rules needed to ensure profit out of each.In my farm area there are many MLS deals that fall into these numbers.Now it is just about raising funds.I would love to find some Sub2 deals.

Famous Four

Favorite real estate book Never read one.Bigger Pockets
Favorite business book
Poke the Box by Seth Godin, 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss, and No More Mondays by Dan Miller
Hobbies
include working on cars and spending time with friends and family.These are very important to me and I do not get enough time with my desk job with either.What is thing that sets apart successful investors from those that fail Getting back up on the horse after failing and not letting friends and family tell you that being an investor is a stupid idea.

Loading replies...