• Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Saint Mary, FL
Votes |
New member from Baker County FL

Kenneth Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Saint Mary, FL
Posted Aug 11 2014, 05:57

Hello everyone! Im Kenneth, but everyone calls me, and can call me any of the shorts to my long name! Lol! I am a Florida native originally from Miami, Florida whom has lived  around this state searching for the just right home setting. I do currently live just West of Jacksonville, Fl. out on a few acres  which is kind of a nice place to settle for the time being. I'm married to a beautiful loving wife; am living a childhood dream of sorts on a  little hobby farm. 

I love real estate and have driven all over North Florida in every city and town along all the back roads checking out properties before my very first realestate investment which was a Duplex in Jacksonville. Living in one side and renting out the other in my first investment property really made good sense and spurred my desire to obtain more properties. Fast forward to 2014, I have been a Landlord for 9 years now with 4 properties: a duplex, townhouse, Modular home; and recently a Quadraplex. I find realeste deals and strongly believe the sacrifice of a little distance between properties cant hurt too much and may be more beneficial for the future recessions we will see in our life times.

All of my experiences of screening tenants and renting have been positive for the most part- "having zero evictions to date, but maybe just lucky! My  experience with individuals, from street smarts I learned in South Florida too past careers which included Law enforcement; Corrections; security, along with the library of realestate books I amassed has greatly helped. 

My tenants do stay for years with the exception of 2 whom stayed less than 14 months. My tenants know I am all business with a half smile (I am naturally serious); do know that I am a man of my word, repairing things promptly and managing my poperties to the best I know how. My dilemma is simple, 

When is strict, too strict, when it comes to screening applicants of the less than savory crowd? Less than savory meaning that individual has an eviction, has poor credit etc. I use Minimum qualifications and do not rent to individuals with criminal records for the saftey of myself, family, current tenants and neighbors near my properties. 

What do the more experienced landlords here do when it seems like every single appllicant that responds to your ads will lie, straight faced too you, with the discovery of this fact after you check and investigate their information on the application? I have checked tax records to confirm past rental histories and most applicants have no problem lying and thanks to positive re-enforcement of tenants staying several years, I will physically drive to check reference addresses and interview individuals with signed consent forms in hand for this practice. i wish it could be easier than all the effort but maybe that is why I am here, to find easier solutions. sorry about mispelling I never get it 100%.Lol!

Loading replies...