Stephanie Prader
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Anchorage to Baltimore Newb

Stephanie Prader
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 4 2014, 22:05

Hi there!

I found BP a few months ago but since I knew I was moving I haven't introduced myself. I didn't wanna get caught up in the Anchorage market any more than I already am. I'm moving to Baltimore next week though so here's my introduction! The East Coast is my home and I've got a part-time job working for the organization I've been volunteering for the past 10 years lined up. Pretty excited for it even if it's only part-time! Although I've only been in Alaska for two years this is where I found the passion for real estate.

I've been trying to learn all I can. I started with reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and when they came to town I did their free event. I was super interested so yeah, I did the intensive paid weekend thing. At the time I didn't mind doing the paid seminar cause I was doing NOTHING and I wanted to do SOMETHING and just needed that push. It was very informative and put the fear in my heart over my sad retirement plan. '~'

I had always loved energy conservation, so that led me to REAP (Renewable Energy Alaska Project), which led me to ACHP (Alaska Craftsman Home Program) and their FREE classes to conserve energy and save money in the home. I loved all of those classes and just kept going back. Some I took more than once! The instructor is so great. I had recently friended a guy who did real estate investing and we started chatting about stuff I had learned in class. Then I started to work for him as his assistant. He's got a few buy and holds, vacation rentals, and just opened a hotel in Fairbanks. I do whatever he needs me to do from finding renters to cleaning to suing a contractor. Hah It's been an interesting year.

I also steered the day job to real estate by working as an office assistant in an appraiser's office. I've learned so much there! I love how they take the same energy courses that I did for credit. I just did them for fun! I even took a class from the AHFC (Alaska Housing Finance Corp) on how to buy a house. The loan originator made financials sound super scary though.

No, I don't own anything but I want to learn the Baltimore and surrounding markets to see what I can do. I lived in NoVA awhile ago so I know the whole DC area already. NOT looking forward to the traffic! I like buy and hold but that's only because that's kinda all he taught me. I'll post something in the Marketplace for a mentor and housing. I intend to find the local RE groups too.

Why real estate? Cause it's fun and I want to help people. I know I helped the three groups who moved into his triplex/duplex/SFR and they've been good renters. So far. I'd like to learn to do it part-time so I can do it and MAGFest (that other org I work for) and build a decent retirement. I've never really been that career person so being free to do what I want to is kinda the idea. I'm used to working many hours on passion projects, but they usually just didn't pay off monetarily. Which I hope will be a minor issue that I'm not money motivated. I'm service motivated. So yup, Marcia Maynard is my newest hero. ^_^

I'm really excited and so grateful I found BP! I told my friend/boss about it and strongly encouraged him to make his way here. I learn so much from the podcasts too! Thank you so much for existing! *Bows to Josh and Brandon* I'd like to help out around the forum but I don't think I know enough to help others yet. I'll just be poking around asking the questions and saying thank you. It's nice to (virtually) meet you all!

(long enough post?? gosh, did I take that How to Introduce Yourself sticky too far?? And Steph Prader IS my real name!)

Loading replies...