• New York City, NY
Votes |
Robert New York City New to RE investing

Robert Easter
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Posted Nov 28 2014, 15:48

Hey every one. 

I am here because this past week I went to a NYC seminar on Real estate investing and at the end of the evening they asked for $15,000 to join their group and for the Real estate investing courses they were going to share with me. 

What was interesting is in their two hour seminar which I stayed through they offered an example of how rich people think and middle class or poor people think. IF you had 20K what should you do buy your car outright or purchase a home? 

Without belaboring that story it basically said if you want to a new car purchase a house and lease your car from the proceeds of the monthly rental get a tax deduction from the lease .. yadda yadda, yadda.  I thought the example was meh.. but could see how such a simplistic view was appealing to many. 

But here was my issue at the end of the seminar. 1. you are now asking me to spend my 20K on your 15K educational package to make money in real estate with your group... which is exactly what you said not to do. They touted that their network has networking groups in Atlanta, California, Chicago, NY, Hawaii. That their group has a hedge fund for investing and they can pool the wealth of the people involved  in order to make deals of the century on a regular basis

So all this got me to thinking. There has to be an open source community if Real estate investors.  That's when I started this search and found you guys. And I hope my time here will be plentiful and well spent.

I am new to real estate outside of a few months of  being a real estate agent in New York city apartment rental market. I had a few deals but physically I was not able to do the continual walking that NY City's apartment market required and the agency's I worked with didn't have sales so I went and got another job. I ended up getting my accounting degree and became a glorified book keeper. My earlier years I worked in the construction industry in Viriginia. Helped build home by the hundreds as a laborer and wonder how or when will I be able to do similar.

In the last few years since Lehman brothers went under I began self investing my money and have done alright so much so I stopped working and solely do that now, but I need to diversify and I want to explore ways of doing so in real property.

Any way that is my basic story. I look forward to saying hello to any one that says hi back and look forward to meeting soem of you that my be in my area in New York.

Loading replies...