• Real Estate Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Reactivated member from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Jerry Powers
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Posted Jul 3 2015, 20:50

I have been hanging around here for some years, but I haven't been very active and I never posted my introduction - shame on me!

I have decided that it is about time that seriously get started on launching my real estate investing career. I became really interested in real estate investing after the housing market crashed in 2008. Since my career has been in home building since 1990, I felt it was an obvious transition.

A business partner and I attended Rich Dad's 3-day real estate investing training. After being unsuccessful in securing funding for some deals my partner decided to quit. I had two separate rehab deals under contract that my hard money lender originally approved and then backed out due to the housing market crash. Therefore, due to the housing market crash and the failed launch of our real estate investing business, I decided to return to college and major in Marketing. I felt this would complement my Construction Science coursework and home building experience. 

After attending the real estate investing training and receiving Rich Dad's deal analysis software I felt it was not user-friendly. I felt it did not provide enough exit strategies analysis. Therefore, I created software for my own use that addressed what I needed to provide me with a very quick analysis. (I'm not revealing the name of my software - or promoting it - so that I don't violate forum policies or appear to be promoting my product. I also will not reveal the name of the software on the site - only privately, if requested).  While I was back in college, I was able to create a business plan for my software in the Marketing and Entrepreneurship classes. Additionally, I presented the business plan in four business plan competitions - placing 1st in a state competition and 1st in a national competition.

Therefore, I feel with over 25 years of home building experience in design, estimating, site superintendent, purchasing, land development, as well as marketing and entrepreneurship, equip me with what is needed to succeed in real estate investing! However, I have to overcome challenges of investing with no money - the housing crash was hard on the family! 

I will be focusing on wholesaling once I get a new website launched to generate leads. Fortunately, I am experienced in website design and SEO! Additionally, I am seeking private investors that recognize the experience and knowledge that I bring to the deal.

I hope to network with lots of people here on BiggerPockets! I hope to be of some help to anyone needing advice from me concerning construction, etc.

Loading replies...