Votes
Joe Dunbar
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Hello, from Utah !

Joe Dunbar
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 29 2015, 16:16

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joe Dunbar, I am 25 and currently a junior in finance. I took three years after High School to trade stocks with my father with no raging success or failure, just b/e. I have always been passionate about investing. I new I would eventually invest in real estate, I recently decided that if that is my end goal I might as well do it now ! 

I discovered bigger pockets about two weeks ago. I have been absorbing all the content and podcasts. I hope that I will continue to be active. I can see the huge value of making friends on this site.

I have a couple starter questions that would really help me figure things out. 

My goal with real estate is to grow a business like bacteria (a better analogy is in the works). I would like to do buy and hold value add, refinance, and keep rolling equity into growth.

1. My resume and track in school is setting me up for investment banking. If I do real estate investment banking and then work for an reit or realestate private equity (I know, both very competitive) will that skill set be too far separated from my above goal ? Any input is greatly appreciated 

2. To help me decide which track I want to do (ibanking or go straight into a hands on real estate career) I have been forecasting some earnings projections. Garbage in garbage out right ? I am trying to get some solid numbers for a REI business. With the big picture goal I mentioned above what are some ballpark ROI figures for a long term buy and hold framework ? Some ROI projections don't take the equity build up of the tenant paying down your mortgage. I understand that there is huge variance but in general, With cash flow and equity build up what is a reasonable ROI you could expect ?

Thank you for your effort with vague questions ! 

Loading replies...