BiggerPockets

1031 Exchange Requirements

Forum Powered By:

11 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Dale Osborn

Mobile Home Investor from Spanaway, Washington

Apr 30 '12, 05:31 PM

I am aware of most of the common items of doing a 1031 exchange, but have a question concerning specifics. The question I have is: Can a 1031 exchange be done between family members or does it have to be an arms length transaction? Perhaps what I am looking at does not even matter too much for a 1031 exchange. Iam considering stepping out of the real estate business and selling the property to a relative for the same price we paid for it. Therefore no gain - no capital gains taxes due. I did read somewhere that if sold to a relative they must hold it a minimum of 2 years or there is a chance of capital gains having to be paid. Again, If no capital gains, perhaps this need not apply?

Michael Siekerka

Real Estate Investor from Louisville, Kentucky

Apr 30 '12, 09:19 PM

Where does the exchange come in? Is the family member trying to liquidate an investment property to purchase your property?

Michael Siekerka, Rinnovate LLC

Dale Osborn

Apr 30 '12, 11:36 PM

Perhaps a 1031 is not involved in this transaction. It would be a sale to a related party for the same price as purchased.

Dave T

Real Estate Investor from South Carolina

May 02 '12, 04:43 PM

How closely related is the related party?

Sales to related parties at less than fair market value could bring gift tax issues into play.

Bill Exeter

San Diego, California

Jul 31 '12, 07:26 PM
2 votes

Hi Dale, this area gets a little tricky. The best way to quickly summarize the answer is this. If you are SELLING to a related party there is a two (2) year holding period. If you are BUYING from a related party the transaction will generally not qualify unless the related party does their own 1031 Exchange or the related party is recognizing capital gains (and paying the related capital gain taxes) that are greater than the capital gain being deferred through the 1031 Exchange. I'm not sure that made sense, so feel free to contact me with questions.

Medium_extr_1031_4c_2inBill Exeter, Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (619) 239-3091

Ryan M.

West, Michigan

Jul 31 '12, 07:40 PM

What about the depreciation?

Dale Osborn

Jul 31 '12, 08:55 PM

Depreciation needs to be recaptured.

Ryan M.

West, Michigan

Jul 31 '12, 09:08 PM

Yes it is which can be a nasty tax bill in itself aside from any gains, depending on the hold time of course.

Bill Exeter

San Diego, California

Aug 01 '12, 07:41 AM

The depreciation recapture would be deferred IF you could qualify for and structure a related party 1031 Exchange, otherwise it would be recognized and taxed.

Medium_extr_1031_4c_2inBill Exeter, Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (619) 239-3091

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums