BiggerPockets

Brand New in Chicago! Great to be here!

22 posts by 11 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Nov 18 '12, 09:53 AM

Hello everyone, I'm Joe, and I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this website! I have been looking through some of the posts and I'd like to mention how kind and helpful everyone is here, as well as very informative!

I hope to interact with you as I learn more about REI. Right now I'm looking into wholesaling since that seems to be the best road for me to start on since I need to build capital.

Any words of wisdom and encouragement is always greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

JL

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Nov 18 '12, 09:59 AM

Hi Joe, welcome to BiggerPockets! There is really a lot of great content in the wholesaling forum. Better than any book on the topic in my opinion. Especially considering you can get your specific questions answered by experienced pros.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Nov 18 '12, 10:07 AM

Thank you, Jon! Just by the little bit I've been looking around I couldn't agree with you more!

Thank you for the welcome!

Kevin Kachin

Real Estate Investor from Chicago, Illinois

Nov 18 '12, 09:34 PM

Hey Joe. I'm new to the site too (and in the Chicago area). I agree, great amount of information and kind members.

Kevin Kachin, J-Arm Investments, LLC
"You Stay Where You Focus" Kevin Kachin J-Arm Investments, LLC e-mail: [email protected]

James Vermillion Donor

Real Estate Investor from Lexington, Kentucky

Nov 19 '12, 05:19 AM

Welcome to BP Joe! Wholesaling is certainly not as easy as some people make it sounds, but with it is definitely a viable strategy if you understand the process, work very hard, and understand marketing. I agree with Jon, the wholesaling forum is a great starting point for you. Good luck!

Medium_kvJames Vermillion, K&V Investing
Invested in the Bluegrass!

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Nov 19 '12, 06:29 AM

@Kevin Kachin that's great! Which type of investing are you doing? Are you in the city or in the suburbs? Feel free to message me.

@James Vermillion I agree with you. I know it's not going to be a cake-walk, but I'm willing to learn from the pros and work hard at it. I'm excited to learn about something new! Thank you for the welcome!

Scott W.

Illinois

Nov 19 '12, 11:42 AM

pm me; i'm in your neck of the woods & would be happy to help you out.

Mike H.

Real Estate Investor from Manteno, Illinois

Nov 19 '12, 01:41 PM

South suburbs. You're actually in a pretty good area to do some investing. Not in Lemont of course with the price to rents not really lending themselves to investors. But all those other surrounding areas are pretty good.

I'm buy and hold mostly in southern cook (although I no longer touch (cook), will (crete, monee, braidwood and peotone) and kankakee (bradley, bourbonnais, manteno) counties .

If you ever want to talk real estate, feel free to contact me.
I'm always open to new strategies or learning new stuff from people and always willing to share my stories and/or resources.

Account Closed

Dec 02 '12, 02:12 PM

Wow check out all the Chicagoland investors! I hope to be able to work/meet all of you in person. I have been investing for just about 2 decades, and while not all projects have gone as planned, I am far better off with investing than without that is for sure!

The start is always the part that can be the most difficult, so you must be prepared to stay the course. Usually when people quit, it is right before the success hits.

Darrell Essex

Wholesaler from Chicago, Illinois

Dec 02 '12, 03:00 PM

Welcome to BP, I'm floating around Chicago too, looking at which area to get into and it's all pushing towards the south and west. I'm going to be putting in some of my first offers this week, so if you need any ebooks or things like that let me know, I've got tons that I've just finished reading.

Don Koss

Real Estate Investor from Fox River Grove, Illinois

Dec 03 '12, 02:47 PM

Welcome Joe (and Kevin), Happy to know there are others who still are looking to invest in our miserable, pension under-funded state.

Best Regards,

donko

Edited Dec 30 2012, 23:19 by Administrator: Link removed.

Steven Hamilton II Verified Moderator

Real Estate Investor from Lake Villa, Illinois

Dec 03 '12, 10:00 PM

Hi @Joe Lopez,

Sorry I missed giving a welcome to the board message here. Wholesaling can be very rewarding, but it definitely requires some time paying your dues in research and putting deals together.

I've been wanting to get together a group of us for a good discussion forum/meeting group to discuss, present and talk and share ideas every quarter or so. Similar to the Large BP forum, but to help keep everyone motivated.

-Steven

Medium_hta_logoSteven Hamilton II, Hamilton Tax and Accounting
Telephone: (224) 381-2660
-Steven the Tax Guy Hamilton Tax and Accounting LLC (224) 381-2660

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Dec 04 '12, 08:22 AM

Thank you @Don Koss , I agree, our state needs an overhaul!!

@Steven Hamilton II , meeting up periodically sounds like a great idea! I'd definitely be interested in doing that! Obviously I wouldn't have too much to offer (experience wise) since I'm a newbie, but I will bring a positive, and energetic attitude.

Account Closed

Dec 08 '12, 12:48 PM

Joe,

I believe I saw you on Thursday night, am I wrong?

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Dec 08 '12, 01:15 PM

*********** -

Yes, I was there Thursday night. I had a good time, good energy there, and very informative. I'm brand new and doing research on REI and thought it would be a good idea to drop in and see what went on in a REI club event.

It was a last minute decision to show up because I got out of work a little later than I wanted, but glad I showed up nonetheless.

Thank you for having me there!

Joe

Account Closed

Dec 30 '12, 10:21 PM

@Joe Lopez yeah sorry for the slow response. I am glad you enjoyed the meeting. How have you progressed in your investing since then?

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Dec 30 '12, 11:19 PM

Looks like I missed the bandwagon on this one . . . sorry for the late message, but welcome to BiggerPockets, Joe.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Joe Lopez

Lemont, Illinois

Dec 31 '12, 12:32 PM

*********** since the meeting I've been in contact with a couple of people on here and just doing a lot of reading. I figure that most questions I have have already been asked on here so I've been doing research to get a better understanding of whatever I had questions about.

This past Friday I went out and posted 50 bandit signs and received my first call less than 24 hours later! I received another call today that I need to call back.

I made another 50 bandit signs today that I'm gonna go out and post up.

I'm going to go driving around looking for what appears to be vacant houses, get the addresses, and send out post cards.

This is pretty much what I have going at the moment. Just trying to get my feet wet and gain some experience.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums