BiggerPockets

New Member from Austin area

Forum Powered By:

12 posts by 9 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Becky S.

Elgin, Texas

Feb 07 '13, 10:22 PM

Howdy All! We are Turning Point Properties, a group of 3 investors with totally different backgrounds, personalities and interests. The thing we share in common is our passion for RE investing. My brother, Larry, is a true entrepreneur, a seasoned investor and former broker, my partner Terry is great with construction and maintenance issues, and I'm Becky, the bird dog, though I'd prefer to be an eagle with an eye for some promising properties. We are all learning the Austin and surrounding area markets, and are looking for possible wholesale deals, a few fix & flips and 1-2 rentals to hold.

We all have different reasons for becoming investors but I can only speak for mine. I run an equine assisted therapy facility and it takes money to keep it going. It is my dream and goal to be able to offer free or very low cost outpatient services for eating disorder clients who cannot afford therapy due to insurance coverage exclusions. I'm also gearing up to offer transition services to returning veterans for a better reintegration into civilian and family life from active duty.

Larry says REI is totally a numbers game, so he tells me to put in "hundreds of offers" to find a few that work. We have some offers in now, but I'm finding it takes lots of time to find properties that fit the formula we need. , I'm looking forward to learning as I go, learning from others who have been there and in turn helping others in the future.

Raquel Barela

Real Estate Investor from Austin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 06:17 AM

Welcome @Becky S. to BP. The Austin group is having another meetup on March 2. Hopefully you can join. @Bryan Hancock will be providing additional details as they become available. I suggest you setup a keyword search for "Austin" so you can see any Austin related discussions (including the details for the meetup). Enjoy!

James Vermillion Donor

Real Estate Investor from Lexington, Kentucky

Feb 08 '13, 06:24 AM
1 vote

Welcome to BP Becky, it sounds like you guys have a dynamic partnership going on. It is always a good thing when each partner can provide unique skills, expertise, experience and views to the table, which it sounds like your partnership achieves.

I am not sure about your market but in mine I do not need to put in hundreds of offers, it is more about making the right offers. There are a lot of different views on making offers, but I would much rather put in more time evaluating deals and going after properties I know I have a good shot at then putting in 100s of low-ball offers. Another thing to consider is your reputation...you do not want to be known as the people who make ridiculous offers.

Anyways, good luck and I hope to see you around the forums and blogs!

Jason Grote

Rehabber from Austin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 06:45 AM

Hi @Becky S.!
I am an wholesaler & rehab investor in the Austin area. Message me what areas you guys are looking in and I will put you on my list.
Your business sounds amazing.... glad to have you with us here in Bigger Pockets!

Medium_i_buy_austin_houses_full_color_logoJason Grote, I Buy Austin Houses
Austin, Texas Home Buyer

Becky S.

Elgin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Raquel. I will definitely check it out.

James, your post says it all. I feel the same way, though my partner feels quantity is the name of the game in our area. There are a lot of investors in our area now. It takes time to sort through and pick the deals that make sense and those are snapped up quickly. I have learned to act fast. But yes, rather than making tons of offers, I would rather analyze and focus on those properties that are more promising. Quality over quantity. Thanks for the welcome.

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 07:22 AM

Welcome to BiggerPockets, Becky. I agree buying houses wholesale is a numbers game. You have to see many homes to get to the winning investment, but that does not mean making offers on each one of them. Making hundreds of offers to buy one is a waste of time, your time, you owners' time, the agents' time.

However, it is not a waste of time to market to hundreds and thousands of property owners to get to the deal. Make offers to the qualified ones. Qualify first, ideally your marketing will do most of the qualifying, and then make offers to the truly motivated sellers.

I have a special needs son who did a couple of years worth of hippo therapy at Equest near Dallas. He loved it. It's great to have a Big purpose behind our investing. Glad to have you with us.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Becky S.

Elgin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 08:50 AM

Hi Jon, thanks for the clarification on wholesaling and finding the gems through marketing. So far, most of ours have been through MLS listings, but I designed and am ordering marketing materials this weekend. You are right on with finding motivated sellers. Not as easy to do on MLS.

Good to hear your son benefitted from equine assisted therapy, and I'm glad to hear from a member who understands how horses can be a healing force.

Carl G.

Georgetown, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 11:35 AM

Great to hear from you Becky. We'll look forward to meeting you at the next meet-up if you can make it. The last one was great!

Lynn Currie

Developer from Austin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 02:59 PM

Welcome, @Becky S.. There is a big group of Austinites on this list doing many different things.

I look forward to meeting you at one of the meetups.

Lynn

Becky S.

Elgin, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the next Austin meet up and will check out Austin on BiggerPockets to see what comes up.

~Becky

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Feb 08 '13, 05:43 PM

Update on the meetup:

I called Casa Chapala again today and put in a message for the person I am corresponding with. Hopefully we'll have clarity on whether or not this is a suitable venue Monday of next week.

If we flunk here I'll find something else.

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums