BiggerPockets

Greetings from Eau Claire, Wisconsin!

10 posts by 8 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Becky Johnson

Real Estate Investor from Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Feb 11 '13, 03:33 PM

My husband and I really want to start investing in multi-unit rental properties (buy and hold) and are in the education process. I think the most overwhelming part right now is looking at available properties and trying to find one that will produce cash flow. I'm reading the Introduction to Real Estate Investment Deal Analysis by J Scott right now and am finding it very helpful. Are there any other tools or articles anyone recommends for evaluating a property's potential cash flow?
I'm very excited to be part of this community and am looking forward to learning more! Thanks everyone!

Joel Owens Moderator

Commercial Real Estate Broker from Canton, Georgia

Feb 11 '13, 03:52 PM

Hi Becky,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. When you say multi-unit rental are you talking about duplex's, tri-plex's, and quads or 5 plus units??

Producing cash flow is just one function of a property. The principal pay down, hopefully appreciation, and tax depreciation make up the other 3 corners of the square.

The cash flow you are seeking will be dependent on the area and how involved you want to be with the property. Generally the higher the return the more hands on you are and the more problems you are solving.

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Jenkins Ramon Donor

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee County, Wisconsin

Feb 11 '13, 03:57 PM

Welcome,

You’re in a good environment for commercial / sfr properties
due to local university ( housing )

There is a ton of information throughout bigger pockets threads

Here is a few names get you started -

Frank Gallinelli ( look under Podcast tab )
and Joel Owens ( via forum threads )

Also utilizes your local library

Jenkins Ramon Donor

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee County, Wisconsin

Feb 11 '13, 03:58 PM

Joel Owens already responded

typing to slow I guess (myself )

Will Barnard Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Feb 11 '13, 04:12 PM

Welcome to BP Nation Becky. There are plenty of threads to assist you in your quest for education in buy and hold. Engage the community with your specific questions.

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.InvestorExperts.com

Brandon Turner Verified

Real Estate Investor from Montesano, Washington

Feb 11 '13, 06:56 PM

Hey Becky Johnson! I grew up just over the river and through the woods from you in Minnesota (North Branch)

I'm a big fan of small multifamily properties. Here's a few articles that might interest you about that stuff:

How to Start Investing In Real Estate at a Young Age or a “Young at Heart Age”

What is Hybrid Real Estate Investing?

How to Make a Million Dollars from Real Estate: A Step By Step Path

Anyways, thanks for introducing yourself! let us know how we can help ya!

Medium_bp-squareBrandon Turner, BiggerPockets
VP of Marketing and Communication - BiggerPockets.com Follow me on Twitter! @BrandonAtBP

Evan B.

Real Estate Investor from Stafford, Virginia

Feb 12 '13, 01:56 AM

Welcome Becky! I am new to this community as well, anyways one thing that had not been mentioned yet was the type of financing that you and your husband will want to use. Multi-unit properties are a GREAT way to produce income especially because if you find the right deal you can have one side pay for the unit while another is paying you. With that being said I just confirmed through this community yesterday that is you want to purchase a unit that has more than four units you will need to apply for commercial money. If your unit has four units or less you can use conventional money.

Hopefully this is something different for you to think about. Also I do not know if you subscribe to Money magazine but in the Jan/Feb edition there is a formula for calculating cash flow, net income, return on investment, and a few other formulas. It is in the real estate section and you can easily go and pick up that magazine or search the internet for the same thing.

Have Fun!!

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Feb 12 '13, 06:45 AM

Welcome to the site, Becky. If you need us to point you anywhere else, let us know.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Becky Johnson

Real Estate Investor from Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Feb 12 '13, 08:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the welcome! Thank you also for the suggested articles. Now I just have to get busy reading and figure out what kinds of questions I need to ask all the knowledgable people on BP.

Charles Kuchlenz

Multi-family Investor from Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Jun 17 '13, 02:10 PM

Hey Becky, are you guys still around? I would like to meet up with you guys to discuss what you have been doing around EC.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums