Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
Investor loses father and step-mother to carbon monoxide - check and replace your CO detectors

Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Posted Dec 10 2014, 09:28

A few days ago, I received an email from a real estate investor in my network.  He recently flew to Italy to cope with the carbon monoxide poisoning of his dad and step mother while they were vacationing there.  His father has passed, and his step mother is in a coma, from which she is not expected to awaken.  His step brother is transporting his mother back to the US because although she has a living will, it is not valid in Italy.  My friend is staying in Italy to bring back his father's body once it is released by the police.  You can read a little about it here:

http://m.thelocal.it/20141204/american-dies-of-car...

Daniel subsequently posted to our facebook group in an effort to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.  He must be devastated, but decided to help promote this issue because it hit home so very hard.

Why am I posting this?  Many jurisdictions require CO detectors in multi's, and while they are treated casually in many instances, and an imposition on landlords in some cases they can still make a difference.  This tragedy is a wake up call to many of us to take CO detectors seriously.  So while I can't help Daniel, I can post this reminder.

Are they perfect?  Absolutely not.  And they are relatively expensive.  The the expense is insignificant when you consider it can save a life.  

Loading replies...