• Valrico, FL
Votes |
Creative ways to raise capital

Andrew Bondarchuk
  • Investor
  • Valrico, FL
Posted Jul 26 2015, 05:06

Does anyone have any?

I am trying to think of ways to raise money for a down payment to break into the REI world, and my wife and I have been kicking around some ideas. This would be in addition to our full time jobs which is paying the bills but leaving little left over between checks. This is what we've come up with so far:

Becoming frugal

I'll lead with this one since it's the most obvious. We have already taken the vow of frugality and I have cut a lot of monthly expenses. In fact I am projecting a savings of roughly $500 a month and I believe there is still room to improve. This is a great long term solution and something everyone should do anyway, but raising money this way is very slow.

Monetized YouTube page

Here's a great way to earn checks randomly. The work comes in with development of content and finding an audience. We plan on using my wife's already existing channel and she is going to put up a video blog and hopefully grab some traffic. There is already a lot of content on her page from a few years ago when she was writing and performing her own music and doing covers, but I believe the covers will have to be removed in order to monetize the page. Check her out by searching YouTube for "teagankipi" :).

Driving for Uber and/or Lyft

So I'm still waiting for a call/e-mail/text but I have applied. I know that due to a speeding ticket from last Thanksgiving that the board would have to give special consideration in order to approve. This may or may not be an option for me but I'll write it here because it seems like something that SHOULD be easy to break into for extra cash.

Writing a children's book

This would be a fun project to do with my wife and daughter. We have so many ideas already just because of the hundreds of books we've read in the past 2 years and some of the crazy and imaginative things our daughter is now saying. We're writing these down. My wife can do the illustrations since this is one of her many talents and I would develop the story line with their help. Even if this project makes no money, it's not at all a loss or a waste just given the rich experiences it will provide and the satisfaction of creating something we love.

Flipping furniture

Have you ever seen Flea Market Flip? How hard can that be? Find some broken furniture on the side of the road or something old and tired at a discounted price from a thrift store, throw some screws in it, some hardware, a coat of paint and sell it for $200. This also could be a fun thing to do together so also not a waste of it doesn't work out.

Finding other part time work/odd jobs

Craigslist seems like a great resource for odd jobs and I plan on getting on there to see what I can find. Outside of that I thought about picking up a serving/bartending job on weekend nights but this would be a last option since I am giving up my time with my family and I would absolutely hate that. At least with Uber or Lyft I would be creating my own schedule. 

So these are some of the things we have thought about and they can all be started pretty much right away. I'm interested in any ideas anyone else has. Please share your ideas for things you plan on doing or things you've actually done that helped you accomplish your goals. :)

Loading replies...