• Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
I'm RICH, RICH, RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Posted Feb 8 2012, 05:45

My guess is that you had mixed thoughts when you originally read the name of this topic. I wanted to generate as much interest in it as possible and hope it will serve as kind of a warning to a lot of people here on BP.

As many devout BP members know, approximately 10 years ago when my last child of six finally left home, my wife and I took off as full-time RVers for six years and had a fantastic time. Due to some a Real Estate challenge, I got back into real estate very actively in buying, selling, and building. I spent two years in South Texas doing exactly that, followed by moving to Florida to purchase and stabilize some real estate there.

With each of our last three moves we were moving further and further away from our children and grandchildren. There were still numerous opportunities to visit the kids and a few family reunions mixed in so it wasn't exactly going cold turkey from them. After 10 years, my wife and I sat down and made a list of the things that were positive about staying in Florida and also a list of reasons to leave. We finally decided it was time to go back to southern Utah where three of our six kids and seven of our 11 grandkids reside. It is also much closer to the rest of our family.

We moved to southern Utah approximately 6 months ago and it has been a great move. I haven't given up on real estate and actually have completed two spec homes and have purchased four more lots, just last week. The first two homes were built with my brother-in-law who lives here and the last two lots I purchased to build spec homes with one of my sons who lives here. This is the business end of it.

The reason for the title of this thread is the following.

Last Friday night, my wife and I were able to attend a birthday party for my 10-year-old grandson. It was great to see all the excitement of all the family members.

On Saturday my nine-year-old grandson from another family asked his single mom if she was going to have a Super Bowl party. She didn't exactly know what to do about this! Soon I received a phone call from her explaining the situation and asking if grandpa would put together a Super Bowl party for her family and invite the others. We had a great get together, pigging out, watching an exciting game, and enjoying the comraderie and friendship of each other. I had even been involved in a betting pool and told the five grandkids that were here, that if I won, I would divide the money equally between them. It kept them interested in the game! We actually won the quarter that ended 17 – 15 and it looked like there was a possibility we might even win the fourth quarter. That didn't happen.

During the Super Bowl party another granddaughter who was to turn 15 yesterday told me there was only one thing she wanted from me for her birthday. She asked if I would pick her up right in front of her middle school in my Viper! I told her sure and I was sitting there when school let out. When she got in the car she was smiling from ear to ear and felt she was on top of the world at least for a moment. My son married this girls' mother just a little over two years ago so I've only been a grandpa to this girl for only a couple years. My wife and I have become very close to this girl and her little seven-year-old sister. Life can be extremely hard for a 13-year-old in this day and age and I'm so glad we have been able to be involved in her life.

Last night we spent three hours at their home for her birthday party with a little seven-year-old sitting on my lap most of the time! Yes I'm rich.

I hope now you understand the reason for the title of this thread. I've mentioned before both on BP and in other forums how I wish I would've spent more time in the early stages of my career with my kids. I'm sure I still would've obtained the financial security that I have now, but I certainly feel I could've taken a little longer and spent a little more time with my small ones.

If any of you see signs that your kids or spouse are missing you, I would certainly urge you to try and reorganize your thought process and find time to spend on those things that are most important.

On the back of my book I have a picture of my wife and my six kids. Underneath the picture I have the following "best investments this author has ever made!" I wish I would've taken better care or at least equal care of these investments to care the other financial investments I have received.

The last thing I have written at the bottom on the back of my book is "I have learned that MAKING A LIVING is not the same as MAKING A LIFE". Unfortunately, we are never given a re-do. I hope you'll consider this when you find yourself putting in 12 to 16 hours a day on your real estate investments. Is this really what you want to remember 10 to 20 years from now?

Yes, I really do feel rich, rich, rich today but for none of the financial reasons. Rich

Loading replies...