BiggerPockets

Buying a new computer. Windows 7 OR 8

Forum Powered By:

22 posts by 15 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Joel Owens Moderator

Real Estate Investor from Canton, Georgia

Oct 25 '12, 07:24 PM

I am looking at adding a second computer.

Locally they are dumping off remaining inventory with Windows 7 to make way for new computers with Windows 8.The windows 7 has very powerful processor,hard drive,and ram numbers and is brand new .

Windows 8 is the new system with the tile format.Consensus so far looking at videos is people love the design or hate it.

They have said the current CEO of Microsoft's legacy will rest on whether Windows 8 flourishes or flops.

I am leaning towards 7 as all the bugs are worked out unlike 8 I am sure and also the cost is about half.

Medium_allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty
E-Mail: j[email protected]
Telephone: 678-779-2798
www.AWcommercial.com 678-779-2798 [email protected]

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Oct 25 '12, 07:34 PM
1 vote

I'm a mac fan. One at home, one at work along with two Linux machines (one real, one virtual) for development and a PC at home. The PC gets the least use of any. I do run Virtual Box on the work mac for one application I have to use that is Windows only.

If you buy a Windows 7 machine you should be able to upgrade for free. If not, I think I saw today were anyone even all the way back to XP could upgrade to 8 Pro for $40. So, the deciding factor should be the machine specs, not the OS.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Charles Perkins

Landlord from Seattle, Washington

Oct 25 '12, 08:30 PM
1 vote

I recently bought a new desktop. I went with Windows 7 mostly because Windows 8 seems to be more mobile oriented with very few enhancements to aid in my desktop experience. I also expect there to many bugs at this stage. My desktop had the option of a very low cost upgrade to windows 8 when it came out that I decided to forego.

Glenn Espinosa

Rehabber from

Oct 25 '12, 10:50 PM

I too am a Mac fan. Its just very intuitive and I feel much more organized on my Mac than when I was on a windows based computer.

I would agree with Jon, however, that my decision would rest mainly on the machine specs as opposed to the OS.

Aaron Smart

Orlando, Florida

Oct 26 '12, 04:37 AM

Windows 7 for sure. Wait for any bugs to be worked out with Windows 8 before buying a system with it. Microsoft always has issues with their first release on new operating systems. If you are computer illiterate, waste some money and get a mac ;)

James Vermillion Donor

Real Estate Investor from Lexington, Kentucky

Oct 26 '12, 05:50 AM

I am getting close to being in the market for a new laptop and may switch to a Mac (especially since I love my Iphone and Ipad). However, the reviews I have seen for W8 have not been good ones, especially for business functions, but there will be a lot more reviews and information very soon. Windows 7 has been good to me though, very stable and has all the features I have ever needed.

Medium_kvJames Vermillion, K&V Investing
E-Mail: [email protected]
Invested in the Bluegrass!

Luis A.

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Oct 26 '12, 06:00 AM

I am also a Mac convert after two decades of Windows, basically unlike Windows the Mac just works.

If you decide to stay with Windows you know that Windows 8 will not work right until service pack 2 or 3 comes out plus it sounds like it's very different from any of the previous Windows so be prepared for learning curve. Windows 7 will be the smart choice in terms of value since I am sure the price will be very good.

IMO if you are going to put yourself through a learning curve then switch to Mac and your computer hassle days will be over.

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Oct 26 '12, 06:11 AM

I switched to Mac about 7 or 8 years ago and can't turn back. When I watched the Windows 8 promo yesterday, I was completely confused, as it looked nothing like anything I've seen before. That said, since I've not tested it myself, I can't truly judge it. Hopefully I can give it a go at one of the local Microsoft stores.

Either way, my next machine (my current laptop is on its last leg) will certainly be a Mac once again.

I agree with Luis above -- if you're going to retrain yourself on a new system, I definitely encourage you to check out the mac.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Carlos Flores

Real Estate Investor from Dallas, Texas

Oct 26 '12, 09:25 AM

One thing I learned about Microsoft. Never install the even numbered ones, especially when it comes to their service packs.

Medium_dreamstime_l_17553651_-_copy_crCarlos Flores, Stronger Communities Alliance, LLC
I pool investor funds together to acquire apartment complexes. Leverage my experience to get NR debt

Joel Owens Moderator

Oct 26 '12, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys.

There are just some killer deals today on computers.I am finding Intel I 5 processor and 8 gigs of ram or better here for about 400 bucks on clearance.

Models are HP and Lenovo. They told me Lenovo is quality and just used to make parts for Dell back in the day but are selling their own systems now.

One of my computers is a Dell from 8 years ago back when they were good. I have upgraded the mother board as far as it can go and have the registry ultra clean.I took out the junk string keys myself.

The cost of putting a new mother board in just makes sense to buy new.I stayed with it so long because I just love my Windows XP.

Windows ME,Vista etc. are the crap systems between XP and Windows 7 which are the better Os's for Microsoft.

I do not do heavy gaming etc. so the computer sales person was saying for my business and I 5 should be fine but not to go with an I3 processor as it would lag some with multiple tasks ongoing.

I will go out and look today.Staples has a hundred dollar coupon off of already clearance prices for Windows 7 loaded systems and Best Buy I have get 50 dollars gift card for any purchase over 500 so I am torn................ : )

I did pick up a killer deal on office printing paper 8.5 by 11.Normally 47.00 for 5,000 sheets 500 per pack with 10 packs.

I had a 25.00 off coupon so picked up for about 2.40 a 500 pack when regular price is 5.99 to 6.99.

One of my friends always seems to get annoyed that I am looking for a deal.He doesn't understand that no matter how much money you have you always like to save.That's how you get the money in the first place! LOL

Jon Holdman Moderator

Oct 26 '12, 10:09 AM

Lenovo bought out IBM's PC business some years back. So, Lenovo PCs are effectively IBM PC's. That Linux box I mentioned is a Lenovo machine.

I've owned a number of Dell, HP, and IBM/Lenovo machines over the years. I've been happiest with the IBM/Lenovo ones. To the point where I bought a refurbed Lenovo laptop off newegg back in August for my daughter. I gave up on Dell years ago after several mediocre machines. The PC I mentioned above is a HP with XP. It (and another HP that gets even less use) work, but they just slog along. I blame that more on Windows than the hardware, but I have had hardware issues with the HP.

I long ago gave up on building machine or doing major upgrades. You ALWAYS end up with compatibility issues. I actually do have another PC that I built for my kid a couple of years ago. I truly regret even trying. It was induced only by having some of the parts and thinking I could get him something going fairly cheaply. I'm going to reimage the older HP machine and just give that one to him and be done with it.

Joel Owens Moderator

Oct 26 '12, 08:07 PM

I went and looked today.

Went with an HP 23" flat screen computer monitor and then for the desktop I went with a Lenovo.

1 TB hard drive,8 gigs of ram, Intel I5 processor.

Couldn't get Windows 7 as they were replacing all 7's and loading Windows 8 on there.It's okay as they showed me classic desktop view on there where you do not have to use the tiling system so I am okay with that.

Cost 599 so that was fine with me for what I want to do.

Might get a MAC later but I am really busy and didn't want to have to learn something brand new and wanted plug and go.

John H.

Massachusetts

Oct 26 '12, 08:50 PM

Don't forget to backup, I see many many people cry when I tell them they lost everything.

Manuel Acuna

Rehabber from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Oct 26 '12, 08:59 PM

Yeah, there is ONE HUGE misunderstanding with Win 8. The tile view is not the only view. You can switch to the classic view or to the tile view.

Personally I'm happy with Win 7 and I know and it seems all the Mac users just hate Windows for some reason. I personally think Mac is great, I just prefer Windows. Why? It's way more open, but I'm also a computer programmer and have a passion for technology. That being said, Win 7 works very nicely very much unlike what @Luis A. is trying to convince you of. Mac also works great.

Honestly @Joel Owens, you can't go wrong with neither. Please, don't be fooled into thinking Windows "don't work", I guess people just repeat what they hear or are just simply haters full of jealousy I guess. I've had bad experiences with Mac's, cars, and cell phones, but I don't just start spouting out that EVERY Mac, car, and cell phone brand I've used "doesn't work". Mac's are more pricey when you compare specs to specs, but they do look cool. But I'm sure you make enough money that price shouldn't be a problem.

Please go with what you feel is the right decision, Mac or Windows. Either one is the right decision, just make sure you get some bad ass specs and you're set! Good luck!

Manuel

Luis A.

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Oct 28 '12, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by Manuel Acuna:

Personally I'm happy with Win 7 and I know and it seems all the Mac users just hate Windows for some reason.

Because it sucks. Pick your reason: blue screens, locking up programs, update after update after update, need to reboot every day, slows over time, needs more memory, and on and on.

That being said, Win 7 works very nicely very much unlike what Luis A. is trying to convince you of.

Your windows 7 might work great but mine does not. 6 month old and I see all the issues noted above. I use a Mac and a Windows 7 computer every day so I know them well. I only use the Win 7 because I have to.

But then again if Joel "loves" Windows XP then there might be no cure for him... :-)

Manuel Acuna

Rehabber from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Oct 28 '12, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by @Luis A.:

Personally I'm happy with Win 7 and I know and it seems all the Mac users just hate Windows for some reason.

Because it sucks. Pick your reason: blue screens, locking up programs, update after update after update, need to reboot every day, slows over time, needs more memory, and on and on.

That being said, Win 7 works very nicely very much unlike what Luis A. is trying to convince you of.

Your windows 7 might work great but mine does not. 6 month old and I see all the issues noted above. I use a Mac and a Windows 7 computer every day so I know them well. I only use the Win 7 because I have to.

But then again if Joel "loves" Windows XP then there might be no cure for him... :-)

I once used a Mac and all it did was freeze, therefore should I just start spouting that all Mac's suck? In fact I've had multiple bad Mac experiences, but I still know that they aren't bad products. You're hateful towards Windows so should I just start spouting you're hateful towards everything in this world?

Stop whining cause you had a bad experience, it's not the correct way to determine and represent a product. If you failed at a fix and flip deal once should we all label you as an incompetent fool who could never be in REI? Nope, cause a single incident isn't representative of what you really are.

But then again, you seem to "love" to hate, so maybe there's no cure for you... :D

Have a good one Luis A.

Manuel

Jon Holdman Moderator

Oct 28 '12, 07:37 AM

Computers are just tools. Yes, my macs misbehave from time to time. Less than the PCs I've used, but not zero. The primary software development tool I use works more reliably on both Linux and PC than on Mac. I can't, in good faith, recommend Linux to regular computer users for two reasons. One is that its just plain harder to use. Its Unix under there and you better know Unix and Linux to really use it. Mac is at the other end of the scale. Its much more likely to "just work". The other reason is apps. If you want Word and Excel, Linux is not your friend. Many apps are available and work fine on Linux. But if I'm working on my Linux box and need Word, I have to jump over to the mac.

Joel Owens Moderator

Oct 28 '12, 10:47 AM

I have had Windows XP for 8 years with my old Dell back when they were decent.The computer is still great and I am on it now actually.The desktop doesn't arrive until Tuesday as it had to be shipped.

I am sure when I get the new desktop I will spend hours taking off the crap ware on it.Computer makers now ship a bunch of trial software with it because they make more money with vendors paying them that way then on actually selling the machines.

Never had a blue screen of death or issues since I owned it.Has ran like a dream.

Now I can't say that for Windows ME I had before that which did have all of those issues at least once every few weeks and drove me nuts.I had the system perfect it's just the OS was fubared from the beginning as a gap system to XP from NT.Of course they didn't tell you that when purchasing !

For updates issue I turn that off so it isn't in the background hogging my resources everyday and manually go to Microsoft and check once a month for security updates.

I also have no junk on my computer and took the crap ware out from the beginning.I only allow very basic things to run at start up so that I only open and run them when I want to use them.If you use an item 4 times a month it doesn't make sense for it to run at startup and be using resources all the time.

Mike McKinzie

Accountant from Garden Grove, California

Oct 28 '12, 12:12 PM

I love how people say, "You have to reboot Windows but not Mac." I have reboot my iPad a LOT MORE than I do my Windows Desktop PC. I love both Apple and Windows products, but neither one is "superior" to the other one, each has their specialty.

I cannot say the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8, I am still on XP typing this. My family only has 5 iPads, 1 Mac laptop, 4 Windows Lap Tops and 2 Windows Desktops. The one I am typing on now I built myself, but with the current prices, it is just as cheap to buy one at Costco, Wal Mart or other retailer.

As a tool, one hammer does not fit all. Everyone has their preference, so just get what you enjoy.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums