BiggerPockets

Renting property from your own LLC

Forum Powered By:

6 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Eric Uhls

Apr 19 '11, 01:23 PM

Is it legal to transfer your property to an LLC you own, then have that LLC rent it to yourself?

The intent is to separate it from the payment (assume the lender will go along with it; i've talked to them, and they will), and put "rental" income on paper, so that it could be used by the LLC satisfy debt/income ratios to secure financing on another income producing property.

Can anybody cite code sections prohibiting this if so, or any relavant federal or Georgia statutes?

Account Closed

Landlord from Seattle, Washington

Apr 19 '11, 01:33 PM
1 vote

Nothing wrong with this. It is actually fairly common that real property is held separate from a business. You must claim the income in the LLC and can take the expense in the business.

Eric Uhls

Apr 19 '11, 02:13 PM

So, if I do this with both of my properties, I can go to the bank, claiming $X income, and nominal expenses for things like maintenance and management fees (despite the fact that I'm personally carrying the mortgage)?

Paul OConnell

Property Manager from Farmington, MI

Apr 20 '11, 03:24 AM

Eric - I am not sure if you are looking to secure financing through the LLC or personally, but there are a couple of issues with either strategy.
If you are looking for financing in the LLC, most banks want to see a history of cash flows, like two years worth of stable tax returns, as opposed to just showing a financial statement.
If you personally are looking for the next loan , I am not sure that you would be accomplishing anything, assuming your payment to the LLC would be greater than or equal to the debt service + taxes + insurance, you would be no better off than holding the RE in your name, for this purpose.

J Scott Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Apr 20 '11, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by Eric Uhls:
So, if I do this with both of my properties, I can go to the bank, claiming $X income, and nominal expenses for things like maintenance and management fees (despite the fact that I'm personally carrying the mortgage)?

In addition to Paul's comments above (which were right on the mark), you'll also likely be asked for a personal guarantee with any business loan, and your personal financial statement will indicate the expense of the rental without the income, so while your LLC will look good, your personal financial statement will look just the opposite.

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Bill G.

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Apr 20 '11, 03:48 AM

While you can do this, I'm sure Charles missed that part about using the LLC income that you paid as qualifying income for a loan. Pumping up your business with income from a transaction which is not at arm's length will push you toward loan fraud!

If you go to the bank and show the rental income and the leases and disclose that you are the customer, to avoid any fraud issue, they will likely discount such income....since they will hold you personally responsible on the loan anyway.

If your LLC is large enough to obtain a loan on its own, you wouldn't need to pump up the company income anyway.

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums