Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
David Hendrix
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Votes |
The sexy appeal of investing in the crowd?

David Hendrix
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Posted Apr 28 2015, 20:48

So here is an issue that I have been struggling with over the last 6 months.

I work full time at a busy stressful job. I enjoy it, but it does not leave me a lot of time for my suppressed passion of real estate. I have managed to purchase 3 rental units, two are multi units and one SFH. In total, 15 units. I have a property manager and she is wonderful. I struggle with growing this as my area seems to have some opportunities, but it takes time to source the deals!

Then there are turn-key solutions. I struggle here as well. They all sound great, but I need to be able to see my properties at least once every couple of months and I hate the idea of investing long distance. I have and am considering something here, but to date have not pulled the trigger. I have a pretty decent market in Columbus Ohio within an hour's drive.

Then there is real estate crowd funding. This seem sexy to me - most of the deals meet my cash on cash return requirements when I buy and hold. I do not get appreciation or the tax breaks, but I do not expect appreciation in my area anyway. The ease of these programs are very intriguing to me! I get to have a professional vet the investments and I get to own little pieces of a bunch of properties. I could just invest in an established REIT, but where is the fun in that? I do have some money invested here. My problem is, I will consistently have to work these assets as the loans/equity are typically less than 5 years in tenure.

I would love to see some discussion on this topic. Is this a good subject for #ASKBP ?

Anyone else out there dealing with the same dilemma?

Thanks!
Dave

Loading replies...