Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy S.
  • Elizabeth, PA
Votes |
Does Investing Cause Problems with Family/ Friends for You?

Jeremy S.
  • Elizabeth, PA
Posted Aug 2 2015, 08:52

I am sure this has been posted in the past, but I want to know if other people have had problems with close friends of family thinking you're crazy or money hungry or whatever it may be for getting into real estate. I have been super interested in successful people for years. I read investment books all the time throughout high school and college. I of course want the things money can bring, but I am more interested in building something up and seeing it grow. In the past I have built websites from scratch on the side while working full-time and going to college full-time. I built Twitter accounts with tens of thousands of followers to try to get into online advertising. There is something just so satisfying about doing something like that to me. I really did not make much money with either and lost interest after I built them up. There is something appealing to me about growing a business or your assets. I think a lot of it is proving to myself that I can do it, and money just happens to be a consequence of putting in the work. Real estate has been a fascination for me and it is something I am going to stick to. I plan to buy my first property (buy and hold) within a year.

Anyways, I constantly read and talk about personal finance and real estate

to the people around me since I finally graduated college and have a good steady income. My family (mother, stepfather, sister) on the other hand think I am money hungry, obsessed with money, think I am too good for people, etc because this is a focus to me. It is completely frustrating and it is to the point where I do not even talk about money period around them. The main problem is my mother. I recently bought my stepdad a truck in cash since he has provided me and my sister with everything I needed in my childhood to get by, she still thinks I want to build wealth and "die with a lot of money like my grandfather". Who I never knew by the way.

Basically it boils down to having a different mindset than the people around me. I do not want to be controlled by having to work for money, I never want to be poor again, and I want to be able to help those around me if they need it. I also find it so exciting to take risks and build something up. This is the reason I joined BP, I love the energy and the drive people have on here. Everyone has a mindset and a viewpoint closer to mine than those I have at home and work.

Has anyone had these problems in the beginning of their business or in real estate with people closest and has their opinions changed over time? I am at the point where I do not care what others say, I am going to go for it anyways. I am interested in if anyone else had a similar experience. Thanks! 

Loading replies...